Hey guys 

Looking to take my boat out for some

Mahi Mahi off sandy hook Lobster pots . 

I plan on throwing jigs. 

1 what are best to throw? 

2 Do people also throw bucktails 

3 should I stick with softbaits? 

Thank you very much. 

Deadly dicks work and lures but I find 1/2 oz with pice of bait (meat) works the best. I like to chum the water with just a hand filled of live minnow. Reason, live minnow will stay swimming with the boat and the fish come to you. Motor must be off. 

We were just talking about going out tomorrow for them. I’m out surf fishing for strippers   and I can’t catch any. Calling it a night. Sea  bass is now 7 per person so I’m going for both tomorrow. 

peanuts! crunch a few to get the mahi chewing and float a couple out, 20 lb floro, 3/0 octopus hook and hang on. Keep one in the water until the next is hooked up, the school will follow.

Edited by pakalolo

The live peanuts, mentioned above, are the most effective way to go.

I tend to fish lures only unless I'm chumming for sharks and thus have bait on board.  3/4 oz bucktails work fine (I tend to throw either white or yellow).  So do paddle-tail swimbaits.  Sometimes a bigger swimbait will draw a bigger dolphin, although most of what I'm seeing inshore are chickens.  Deadly Dicks work, but seem easier for a jumping fish to throw.

Right now, I'm finding most of my fish in about 120 feet, with less life past 140 (unless you want to run very long).  Don't limit yourself to looking for pots and other float.  Once you get past 100 feet, put out some feathers, tuna clones, etc. (Moldcraft Li'l Hookers are my personal favorite) and troll while looking for pots and such.  You'll get some of your nicest fish in open water with no float of any kind.

My biggest mahi so far this season hit a trolled Rapala Husky Magnum trolled at about 7.5 kt in wide-open water..  My #2 fish this season was also taken in about 130 feet last Sunday, on the troll in the open., again moving at around 7.5 kt.

If you troll, you'll also run into some false albacore along the way.  Had a bunch of them Sunday, all in 120-130 feet.

Edited by CWitek