Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
55555s

Cracked rod repair effects on action and power- academic question

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

I recently cracked a 7' ML rod just above the ferrule.      My father has a custom rod that he received as a gift over a decade ago that is cracked jus below the ferrule.  Its been sitting in the closet since Bush was in office.  Both rods deserve better.  I am going to repair my rod myself, and as $ permits have my dads repaired professionally.  

So first, an academic question.  For the 7' rod, what would the predicted impact on the rods action be if I remove an inch and a half or so from each side of the crack to square things off?   

I believe that shortening a rod from the tip will slow the action and increase the power compared to the original.   Yes?

Is there a rule of thumb for mid-blank shortening?  (mind you, I am not asking what the resulting action will be, only what impact it will have on the action)

Just curious.  

The inherent power of a blank can never be changed. Shortening the tip , from the tip only increases the minimum casting weight, jigging weight and slows the action.

If you over sleeve the break with a glass blank sleeve, you pretty much keep the rod as is.

I'm struggling to understand how your remedy is going to work.

You say the blank is cracked above the ferrule.  That will be the female side of the ferrule.  Are you saying that you will cut off 1.5" off the female side of the ferrule?

If that is so - the penetration of the male into the female will be drastically decreased.  There will be very little change in the rod's flex profile - but the ferrule will be very unstable and will probably fail.

Herb

Edited by HL