tlom285

Penn Slammer 3???

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I have the opportunity to pick up a Penn Slammer 3 for a pretty good price.  I've fished Shimano / VS forever.  Maybe you guys can help.

What are your thoughts about this reel?  How does it fish compared to a Saragosa?  Any pros / cons?

Pairing this with my Lami 1081L  --- Should I buy the 3500, 4500, 5500?  I was thinking 4500.

Thanks for the help!

41 mins ago, tlom285 said:

I have the opportunity to pick up a Penn Slammer 3 for a pretty good price.  I've fished Shimano / VS forever.  Maybe you guys can help.

What are your thoughts about this reel?  How does it fish compared to a Saragosa?  Any pros / cons?

Pairing this with my Lami 1081L  --- Should I buy the 3500, 4500, 5500?  I was thinking 4500.

Thanks for the help!

its similar, gosa more free spinning but slammer feels more sturdy, everything else is similar in terms of specs but they feel different.

4500 for that rod, 5500 is a big weight jump it won't balance well

I have the 4500 and 5500 . 4500 is the reel you want. Use the search button and you will find multiple threads on the reel.

Tlom285, we might be in the same boat...

I set myself up with a Lamiglas XS101MS + Penn Slammer III 5500. I used it for the 1st time yesterday and it felt real good casting a little neck popper 2oz.

Got it out there  a nice distance. 

I was so please with the 5500 that last night I placed an order for a 4500. I was intending using the 4500 with a rod in the 8' to 9'. 

For what it's worth and based on my very limited experience with the Lami 101MS & 5500, I would say that the Lami 1081L & Slammer 4500 will be one hell of a light weight powerhouse. I believe the weight difference between these two reels is around 6 oz.

If you wind up with this setup, please post back how it works for you since I will soon be looking for a rod to match with my 4500 and you got me thinking that the Lami 1081L might be the way to go. Thx!

2 hours ago, seachunk2 said:

Tlom285, we might be in the same boat...

I set myself up with a Lamiglas XS101MS + Penn Slammer III 5500. I used it for the 1st time yesterday and it felt real good casting a little neck popper 2oz.

Got it out there  a nice distance. 

I was so please with the 5500 that last night I placed an order for a 4500. I was intending using the 4500 with a rod in the 8' to 9'. 

For what it's worth and based on my very limited experience with the Lami 101MS & 5500, I would say that the Lami 1081L & Slammer 4500 will be one hell of a light weight powerhouse. I believe the weight difference between these two reels is around 6 oz.

If you wind up with this setup, please post back how it works for you since I will soon be looking for a rod to match with my 4500 and you got me thinking that the Lami 1081L might be the way to go. Thx!

Don't think twice about a GSB1081L.  I have the GSB91LS - It's built on the 1081L blank, just factory made.  I think it's the best all around 9 foot surf rod I've ever used - I fish the CT shorelines throwing mostly 2oz and under.  If you want to go heaver consider the GSB1081M. 

its a great reel I fished Penn as a kid through college then switched to Shimano and the Clash and Slammers have brought me back to Penn. The 4500 size is what I recommend as well the 5500's are overkill for striped bass I dont think the extra distance casting due to the larger spool is worth the weight. 

I'm not going to be a huge help here as I have never owned nor fished a Slammer 3 but from what I've seen they are pretty solid reels. I prefer the Gosa as Shimano's QC seems to be more consistent in my experience.

BTW if you use coupon code NEWELLDEALS on Penn's website they are 50% off through the 7th.