evan1

Am I crazy?

Rate this topic

43 posts in this topic

So, I'm back in Orono for the fall semester. My only complaint in the past about being a student here is the lack of saltwater fishing opportunities nearby. With the fall coming up, I really don't want to miss out on any "fall run" striper fishing, and have been considering scooting down to the portland area a few times in the next month and a half or so to hit the salt. It's about a 2 hour drive one way. My question to you guys is, am I crazy? How far have you all driven in the past for fishing. Thanks!

Tuesday I did the night bite to Montauk 105 miles one way, got home at 3 AM and worked till 8 PM the next day.  I'm sure you will hear a lot worse coming up.  That wasn't a bad night.

Um, being from Old town my self originally, they are getting stripers on the  Penobscot all the way to Old Town, about 45 miles inland from the ocean, so there are plenty of chances if you just follow the "Penoby", and scope it out....I have seen 32 inch fish caught at the dam this year, the water is probably a little low, so look for pools.... 

Titleguy will chime in im sure with conditions and reports, but I recall him saying recently you could get a striper and or smallmouth bass in the same pools. You will get a lot of smallmouths up there, and they are fun to catch....

1 hour ago, ken r said:

2 hrs one way is a reasonable drive to fish IMO.

Agreed. I drive an 1 1/2- 2 hrs every weekend to fish. Sucks on the ride home after a long night, but it’s the price you pay, being so far from the water.

Nothing crazy about it. In fact if you don’t go, come February you’ll be questioning your sanity for not making the trip. I make day trips to cape cod and soco RI on either end of the season just to get a little extra in. It’s usually just schoolie fishing. IMO traveling down here over the next month and a half will give you a shot at some of the best fishing of the year. Even if you get skunked, who cares? It’s part of the learning curve, each trip will give you something to figure out over the winter, and after a few seasons you’ll be dialed in and wishing you went to USM lol

9 mins ago, Bmackerel said:

Nothing crazy about it. In fact if you don’t go, come February you’ll be questioning your sanity for not making the trip. I make day trips to cape cod and soco RI on either end of the season just to get a little extra in. It’s usually just schoolie fishing. IMO traveling down here over the next month and a half will give you a shot at some of the best fishing of the year. Even if you get skunked, who cares? It’s part of the learning curve, each trip will give you something to figure out over the winter, and after a few seasons you’ll be dialed in and wishing you went to USM lol

Oh yeah man, I know I’ll regret it come winter. I actually graduated from umo last spring but am back this fall doing some other things. Loved being here besides being far from the stripes! 

You're not crazy, you're young! When I was in college I drove 7 hours, fished 12 hours, slept 3 in the car, and drove home 7. Go for it....drive, fish hard, drive home, repeat!

9 hours ago, FlukeOff said:

You're not crazy, you're young! When I was in college I drove 7 hours, fished 12 hours, slept 3 in the car, and drove home 7. Go for it....drive, fish hard, drive home, repeat!

Live large while you can. I used to drive from Biddeford to Rangeley (3hrs.) regularly at your age to fish the evening caddis fall.

Edited by Mainiac

I used to drive 110 miles to fish cape may nj every weekend when i could have drove 18 to fish Deal NJ. Now I am 5 miles from the marina and less than a mile from the ocean and piscat I am too old to stay awake for long rides home. 

In the same boat right now this post motivated me to pull up google maps and find a spot near the mouth of the piscat. to try out in the coming weeks. I would try the dam area but will probably end up targeting smallmouth and other species on lighter tackle unless I hear recent reports of stripers up this far. Portland is a bit of a far drive for me id rather switch my efforts to freshwater pursuits but power to anyone willing to go to those lengths. the fishery will thank you :wee:

1 hour ago, EarningStripes207 said:

In the same boat right now this post motivated me to pull up google maps and find a spot near the mouth of the piscat. to try out in the coming weeks. I would try the dam area but will probably end up targeting smallmouth and other species on lighter tackle unless I hear recent reports of stripers up this far. Portland is a bit of a far drive for me id rather switch my efforts to freshwater pursuits but power to anyone willing to go to those lengths. the fishery will thank you :wee:

LMFAO...

I'm an old man and it takes me about 3.5 - 4 hours every time I drive from VT to the salt in Maine.  That seems to be the closest for me.  If I weren't so old that I can't remember a damn thing, I'm pretty sure I could come up with something further.  You're not crazy, you're young.  Go for it, what the hell?

PS:  These times are longer depending on whiz breaks.  Another old guy malady.  :laugh: