codfish

Football blue fin tuna in the Canal??

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

3oz bullethead with a chartreuse mack Gag's.

I made a bad cast.... landed slightly down-current and I knew by the time it made it down, the swing would smash it straight into the steep ledge at that spot.

As soon as it landed I started to burn it in afap and within 5 yds of splashdown, BAM!

With no change in speed, direction, or depth.... my line was peeled upcurrent. I tightened the drag down as far as possible and then tried to use my hand on the spool like a brake until it sucked my middle finger under the rotor and parted at the mono leader knot of the barrel swivel.

My son Evan was the only witness that day... a day he and I will NEVER forget.   

It's technically illegal to land a tuna from shore but the chances of landing one are slim with the size of the fish we have up here now.  The only successful shore bluefin landing I know of is striper mike from marshfield who landed a 200 pounder a number of years ago while fishing for bass, he has a website with the story it was an amazing catch 

I hooked and almost landed one once many years ago on a mackerel chunk in the east end..   Nearly spooled me three times, Got it to the rocks and the last thing I saw was it's tail swipe my line and and off it went.   The yellow spikey nubs on his tail were the last thing I saw of it.   This was probably almost 20 years ago now.   I think I wept.

2 hours ago, pogie_boy said:

I hooked and almost landed one once many years ago on a mackerel chunk in the east end..   Nearly spooled me three times, Got it to the rocks and the last thing I saw was it's tail swipe my line and and off it went.   The yellow spikey nubs on his tail were the last thing I saw of it.   This was probably almost 20 years ago now.   I think I wept.

Something that’s stuck in your memory bank for ever I bet. 

8 hours ago, pogie_boy said:

Can't imagine that fight, must have been incredible 

15 hours ago, hydraman said:

Something that’s stuck in your memory bank for ever I bet. 

I could probably describe everything down to the color of the sunrise reflection off the water and the smell of the bubble weed!

9 hours ago, Two Rock said:

Can't imagine that fight, must have been incredible 

It was on an old custom glass meatstick i got as a hand me down from my uncle that flexed all the way to the cork tape.  I was powerless for most of the fight, just holding on for dear life.  I forget if it was the old dam quik reel still or if i had taped a penn on but neither had a very quick retrieve rate so when the fish turned i would have to reel furiously.    

Funny thing is that there was almost no other people fishing that day... most likely a Saturday morning.  I turned around to see if anyone witnessed it.  Not a soul was there.  I think i took one or two more casts but i was spent  

My friend was fishing the West End on Sat And said he saw bluefish jumping for there life’s.   Big fish were chasing them.  Birds above    But had no luck  Didn’t know what there were??

2 hours ago, ccb said:

My friend was fishing the West End on Sat And said he saw bluefish jumping for there life’s.   Big fish were chasing them.  Birds above    But had no luck  Didn’t know what there were??

fished the west end most of saturday and there were tons of microbass splashing and breaching on the surface under birds. maybe it was that he saw. they were tearing through peanuts