foxfai

Ever had fluke bite at night time?

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, chunk said:

So do you keep a monster out of season

Many years back, I was striper fishing with my grandfather in the Delaware Bay in late October/early November. Get a runoff on one of my rods, and it's a huge fluke.

That was the day I learned about filet and release. Haven't done it since.

4 mins ago, csteven said:

Many years back, I was striper fishing with my grandfather in the Delaware Bay in late October/early November. Get a runoff on one of my rods, and it's a huge fluke.

That was the day I learned about filet and release. Haven't done it since.

you are preaching to the choir  i grew up eating fluke every day in the summer

4 hours ago, MakoMike said:

Season? Around here the season doesn't close until after the fish are long gone.

Very different here, Mike - fluke season closed in NJ today...I've caught legit keeper fluke deep into December around here. Two years ago I got the biggest one I've seen locally in years on September 23th - the last day of fluke season that year :squid:

large-fluke.9.23.16-web1.jpg

To the question of do they bite at night - yes...frequently :)  They'll eat jigs at night on a pitch black beach...suck down needlefish crawled across the flat calm surface in the dark...pretty much anything they think they can stuff in their mouths. There doesn't need to be lights for them to feed at night...although it doesn't hurt :)

TimS

Hey guys, long time lurker. Thinks it's my fist post on this forum, mostly spend time on Delmarva. I caught my personal largest flounder (yes flounder, I'm from Md) at night. I was targeting rockfish/trout and had no darker colored baits as sun went down. I grabbed a sharpie out from the truck and took a white WE Shad and colored it black with the sharpie. First cast 25" doormat. Fishing IRI

7 mins ago, h2oboss said:

Hey guys, long time lurker. Thinks it's my fist post on this forum, mostly spend time on Delmarva. I caught my personal largest flounder (yes flounder, I'm from Md) at night. I was targeting rockfish/trout and had no darker colored baits as sun went down. I grabbed a sharpie out from the truck and took a white WE Shad and colored it black with the sharpie. First cast 25" doormat. Fishing IRI

I want to blackfish that inlet

2 hours ago, TimS said:

Very different here, Mike - fluke season closed in NJ today...I've caught legit keeper fluke deep into December around here. Two years ago I got the biggest one I've seen locally in years on September 23th - the last day of fluke season that year :squid:

large-fluke.9.23.16-web1.jpg

To the question of do they bite at night - yes...frequently :)  They'll eat jigs at night on a pitch black beach...suck down needlefish crawled across the flat calm surface in the dark...pretty much anything they think they can stuff in their mouths. There doesn't need to be lights for them to feed at night...although it doesn't hurt :)

TimS

Do you kiss fluke too or just tog?

I don't think anyone is going to publicly admit to poaching out of season lol, but if a tree falls in the forest and no one hears it, does it make a sound? Kidding, never worth it to keep a fish out of season. Yesterday was probably the most incredible fluke blitz I ever witnessed, while collecting crabs for blackfish, and all I had was some fresh water lures and a tiny rod and reel with 6lb test that got destroyed by every fluke I hooked, was only able to miraculously land 3 17" fluke, all the bigger ones straightened out the crap hooks I had on me.

21 mins ago, csteven said:

Do you kiss fluke too or just tog?

Nope...never really felt much kinship with fluke, they don’t strike me as having much personality :squid: 

I mostly just kiss some of the more memorable blackfish on the forehead before releasing them....and maybe a few bigger bass :kiss:

TimS

15 mins ago, IsmailG said:

Yesterday was probably the most incredible fluke blitz I ever witnessed

There were good sized schools of mullet and herring on the flats today making the fluke do stupid things...I saw a couple launch completely outta the water :th:  They weren’t very big but it was cool to see them going nuts :)

TimS

2 mins ago, TimS said:

There were good sized schools of mullet and herring on the flats today making the fluke do stupid things...I saw a couple launch completely outta the water :th:  They weren’t very big but it was cool to see them going nuts :)

TimS

Exactly what I saw yesterday. Was a super snaggy spot though, every 5 casts resulted in a re rig. 

Just now, IsmailG said:

Exactly what I saw yesterday. Was a super snaggy spot though, every 5 casts resulted in a re rig. 

These guys were on a muddy flat in about 1-2’ of water...might have been some little bass up there, too. But the fluke coming clear outta the water was the highlight - they just look all kindsa wrong in the air :)