ThrowinPlugs

Honest opinions on VM Series Reels?

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

Hey all, had a question. I had previously owned a VSX reel. It was great, but way more reel than I needed so I downgraded to a Slammer III. Not a huge fan. I'm thinking I want another VS, but really don't wanna shell out $650+ for one again. A local shop has VM's for under $300, and honestly they don't look as pretty and can't be reeled underwater (don't really care) but hey feel the same. I'm not huge on bailless either. Honest opinions?

I've been beating up my VM150 at the canal for 2 years with no issues so far. It handles big fish, has a smooth drag, and still works great despite a whole bunch of dings and scratches.

I own the VM 150 and in some

ways, I like it more than the regular VS. One thing you should know is that it has a hair trigger bail which closed on me accidentally several time. You can convert it to a manual bail but that also removes the rotor brake. Otherwise, it’s a great reel. Very solid feeling 

It’s not sealed. I can’t think of why you would put up with that clunky heaviness if you aren’t getting a sealed reel in exchange.  Personally, I’d rather fish a 100 dollar BG.

Edited by ThirstyOwl III

29 mins ago, ThirstyOwl III said:

It’s not sealed. I can’t think of why you would put up with that clunky heaviness if you aren’t getting a sealed reel in exchange.  Personally, I’d rather fish a 100 dollar BG.

According to Alan Hawk's review that's not true at all.

I have never owned the VM.  With the introduction of the VR, the VM has been discounted.  I don't know the future of the reel, but I expect it to go away.

I would ask myself this. Does the VM do anything the Shimano Saragosa or PENN Slammer won't do?  For $300 that is where I would look.

I have the slammer 3 and the 5500 size is so chunky and overall I just don't like it. I have a Saragosa that I love but the high gear ratio makes it a little fast for me. Maybe a Spheros?

I have the 4500's and 5500's. I use the 4500's much more they are much lighter and have enough drag for any striped bass. My only knock on the 4500 is there is no round eva knob for it. I prefer the Eva it keeps my hands from slipping if they are a little wet.

I had a 5000 Spheros  I had to return it wobbled no matter what rod I put it on. I exchanged it for a Slammer 3 4500. Sucks because I had high hopes for that reel. 

I have a VM150. It's great reel and will get somebody into a Van Staal for half the price if they want the name. I've caught lots of snapper and Ling Cod on mine, and the drag felt amazing with 15lb+ fish. Almost smoother than my VR's, but it could have been the type of braid I was using. I'd pick it over a Shimano as well as I've gone through 2 Saragosa's and 2 Spheros, with all of them having a wobble on every single rod I tried them on. My old Stradic never suffered the same wobble. And to note, the Spheros wobbles way less than the Gosa's. I love the big knob on the VM for cranking power. This is all from the rocks or boat fishing. I cannot attest to it's durability in the sand.

17 mins ago, Skkeeter said:

I have a VM150. It's great reel and will get somebody into a Van Staal for half the price if they want the name. I've caught lots of snapper and Ling Cod on mine, and the drag felt amazing with 15lb+ fish. Almost smoother than my VR's, but it could have been the type of braid I was using. I'd pick it over a Shimano as well as I've gone through 2 Saragosa's and 2 Spheros, with all of them having a wobble on every single rod I tried them on. My old Stradic never suffered the same wobble. And to note, the Spheros wobbles way less than the Gosa's. I love the big knob on the VM for cranking power. This is all from the rocks or boat fishing. I cannot attest to it's durability in the sand.

The wobble is your line hitting the guides. Let me guess ,you use low riders?

4 hours ago, ThirstyOwl III said:

Me too. Best bang for your buck.

J:wag:n