salt deficient

Fishfinder rig with or without a float

13 posts in this topic

When you guys fish with chunked bunker, do you add anything to the rig, like a float or red beads.  

Went to a bait shop yesterday and was wondering if many experienced folks use something to make it stay off the bottom.

Posted (edited)

I tried adding a float on a hi lo rig. I didn't notice any difference in productivity or reduction in catching trash fish like skates.

Edited by chitala383

Only time I use a float is if I am targeting bluefish or the crabs are picking at the bait.

I’ve used a small float when the skates are really being a PIA, but generally do not use one. 

In my area of south jersey beach calico crabs are fierce so I almost always use a float when fishing for bass or blues with clams or bunker or I am cleaned off in a couple minutes.  I have even caught a few drum using a float so I am not worried about a bass not coming off the bottom.  For whiting no float but I keep bait moving or use fish bites.  

the rigs I used to buy had an orange float on it you can adjust how far from the lead you want it.

it did keep crabs off the bait,,skates too.

HH

Hmmm... need to try this.  I have to update bait every 15 minutes because of crabs. 

How big a float do you use?

I use either a styrofoam float about 2.5 inches long that I buy, 

17 hours ago, TroutGhost said:

Hmmm... need to try this.  I have to update bait every 15 minutes because of crabs. 

How big a float do you use?

or use a cork from a wine bottle that I drill out and use a toothpick to pin the line in place a few inches from the hook. 

2 hours ago, JimJ said:

I use either a styrofoam float about 2.5 inches long that I buy, 

or use a cork from a wine bottle that I drill out and use a toothpick to pin the line in place a few inches from the hook. 

That’s a great idea! It will also help me to get rid of some corks. 

EF07D442-7ADE-45DC-8170-244BD66CFBC3.jpeg