Land Based Sharking

Slow sinking vs fast sinking magic swimmer

19 posts in this topic

How much difference is there between the fast and slow sinking versions? Is the slow sinking too slow to be effective in the canal? The one i am talking about is 4.5 oz, and 9" long. Thanks for the input. 

I prefer the fast sinker. However keep in mind that you really have to be aware of rocks and reefs as you reel back you lure on the end of your retrieve. A lot of sebiles get lost that way.

I like the slow one I catch way more on it than the fast sinking smaller one. The 228 slow sinking ghostescent is worth its weight in gold. I have 8 stockpiled up.

Doesn't make a difference IMO... The fast sinks cast a little farther.... At the retrieve rate ya fish em at they all come in just under the water.. 

I use the fast sinker at the canal. I use slow sinking, smaller sizes from the beach.

no doubt in my mind that a heavy loaded magic swimmer will swim right to my feet in a heavy current whereas the lighter you go they will lose there action further out.those with any expierence will fish what catches best for them not what others recommmend

Thanks for the replies. Is the difference between a fast and slow sinking MS purely weight or is there another difference?  Im wondering if an oz or two on the front of a slow sinker will get it running deeper. 

I've had good luck with all of them. Floating, sinking, fast sinking. All depends on current. If there is room you can throw a floater along the rip rap without fear of snagging it.

For the Canal, with Stick Shadds, I prefer the slow sinking version.  It has better side to side action than the Fast sink version.  For Magic Swimmers, I also prefer the slow sinking.  When the bass are in on bait, they are looking around and up, and running a lure 2-3' iunder the surface results in explosive strikes.  For distance, with my rods I get just about as much distance with the slow sinking M.S. as with the Fast Sinking.  The sweet spot of most rods is in that range.  Not to mention the fact, that the few rods that I've seen explode were all with the heavier fast sinking lures.