ZeeBaaS Real Reel "Holy Grail"?

Rate this topic

ged

10 hours ago, HL4Runner said:

2+ years… what else is custom besides color? You seems to have a great deal of patience. 

Coming up on 2.5 years…. Just a custom color, nothing else.  Maybe it’s a harder color to make?  I would have been cool with a color change even a year ago if the anodization is giving them trouble.  Oh well.  I’m not bashing them, just letting others know what your possible wait time is 

Edited by Bluetaildragger

C&R

I've owned or handled every mid to high end spinning reel and IMHO the best bang for 500 bucks is the VR75. This lightweight powerhouse can handle any fish you will catch on East Coast beaches and outback. Great for wade fishing the flats, inshore boat fishing, surf fishing for albies on a light weight whipping tipped rod, or jig for stripers in your kayak...sealing, great drag...and did I mention lightweight? Only 9 ounces and small change? This reel can handle all your fishing needs from the surf, jetty, boats, flats, tidal creeks...and swim fishing with a lightweight setup is a dream. Find a a lightweight, fast/moderate action, 8-9'6" rod rated in the neighborhood of 3/8oz to 2oz and you are good to go for just about anything you will encounter besides Russian submarines or sharks. It might take some getting used to for a traditionalist fisherman looking at a long rod with a tiny reel, but results are what counts...I started out with green coffee grinders and fiberglass broomsticks...50 years of progress took care of that...in my mind, the convenience of modern spinning gear outweighs the pleasure derived from fishing with old stuff just because it ain't broke yet.

Edited by petespeak

58 mins ago, Bluetaildragger said:

Coming up on 2.5 years…. Just a custom color, nothing else.  Maybe it’s a harder color to make?  I would have been cool with a color change even a year ago if the anodization is giving them trouble.  Oh well.  I’m not bashing them, just letting others know what your possible wait time is 

It was mentioned somewhere that they are building up stocks, I sure hope this means amassing reel parts to fulfill orders and not hats and sweatshirts.

• 1 month later...
On 3/19/2023 at 7:52 AM, Bluetaildragger said:

18 months here. Was told it’d be 3-4 months from when I placed order in November 2021. I wasn’t even bothered by the fact it didn’t arrive then— I get it. But not retuning any calls/emails is a bit maddening.. 

On 5/4/2023 at 9:20 PM, jgonz said:

18 months here. Was told it’d be 3-4 months from when I placed order in November 2021. I wasn’t even bothered by the fact it didn’t arrive then— I get it. But not retuning any calls/emails is a bit maddening.. 

Wow, I was considering a Zeebass before reading this. You could have a house built in 18 months.

On 5/4/2023 at 9:20 PM, jgonz said:

That is not a great experience. I know Ron found a new anodizing company. He had some very nice samples last time I stopped by, maybe in February. The gold really popped.  

Is your reel custom color?

On 3/19/2023 at 7:52 AM, Bluetaildragger said:

That is a long time to wait, but Ron and his team want their customers to be happy with their purchase. I think their reels are worth the wait. If you change your mind I know he would refund your money. Personally I would wait. 

I know when they are making color custom reels if a single part has an issue they can offer that reel with a part slightly off, or try to make things as close to perfect as possible based on the customer choice. 

I personally waited for a blue/silver a few years ago and it was worth the wait. The engraved my initials in that body. I think I was the first who requested that option with them. 

It may be worth buying a used one until your comes in and then you can resell the used one for whatever you paid. I almost never lose $ on a ZeeBaaS. I just lost $100+ on a limited edition gold Van Staal a few weeks ago here :) 

On 5/6/2023 at 8:42 AM, ged said:

That is not a great experience. I know Ron found a new anodizing company. He had some very nice samples last time I stopped by, maybe in February. The gold really popped.  

Is your reel custom color?

No, just a stock ZX-25 in black.

Edited by jgonz

Great reel, I wouldn't go with any other. My reels spend a lot of time submerged, though. It takes a beating and never malfunctions (I've destroyed more than a couple of others) and is reliably waterproof. Different people have different fishing styles, but if you're wetsuiting or end up on the wrong side of the surface more than once in a while, I highly recommend it. 

On 9/3/2018 at 9:47 AM, ged said:

I have been asked "What is different between the original ZeeBaaS and the current version". 

The answer is, almost everything is different, and some things have changed more than once since the early models.  The parts that have remained unchanged are the main gear, pinion gear, and the main shaft and some internal seals, bearing etc.

The 25/27 rotor from the first generation zeebaas can be installed , but keeping the small reel foot , avoiding to switch to the longer reel foot ?? 

Thanks 

(*edited - member formerly known as 'icebear2738')

On 5/13/2023 at 6:20 PM, P Bau said:

The 25/27 rotor from the first generation zeebaas can be installed , but keeping the small reel foot , avoiding to switch to the longer reel foot ?? 

Thanks 

You need the extended foot, and there are not too many of them out in the wild. Most G1 reels are 20/22. I happen to have a few 27’s built and another body with the 25/27 reel foot. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/5/2023 at 11:43 AM, Rob A said:

Just buy one from this site.  Used ones are on the buy/sell pages all the time.  They are pretty indestructible so buying used isn't that much of an issue.  Plus its cheaper.

Idk why people aren't more willing to do this. I did that, sent it to ZB for servicing immediately, and i had it back within 2 weeks along with a phone call explaining everything they did. Boom, just like new.