UncleJohn

September 2018 Fishing Report

383 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

4 mins ago, Baccigalup said:

If i catch a decent sized one from now on its lights out for mr sea robin

Haha, yeah man, anything bigger than 14" or so comes home. So easy to clean too. I can skin one in less than 2 minutes. I always leave them bone in, but the next big one I catch I'm gonna take the filets off and see if it's any better.

I'm taking the family to the bay tomorrow, gonna bring my fluke rod and some light surf gear. I'd be happy to run into a sea robin or 2. Hopefully I can get my 4 year old into fishing soon. He says he wants to go with me, but he gets bored with it after 5 minutes.

Edited by chitala383

Out front on MoCo today with my teenage son and his buddy. They got 9 and 6 fluke and really enjoyed it.

Showed another kid we met the ropes, he had a decent rod but needed a leader with teaser and loop. Hooked him up with some gulp and he had one on pretty quick. His dad was very thankful. 

Also- I went out in the ocean in a borrowed kayak for the first time. No fishing but fun!

Posted (edited)

45 mins ago, chitala383 said:

Haha, yeah man, anything bigger than 14" or so comes home. So easy to clean too. I can skin one in less than 2 minutes. I always leave them bone in, but the next big one I catch I'm gonna take the filets off and see if it's any better.

I'm taking the family to the bay tomorrow, gonna bring my fluke rod and some light surf gear. I'd be happy to run into a sea robin or 2. Hopefully I can get my 4 year old into fishing soon. He says he wants to go with me, but he gets bored with it after 5 minutes.

I tried it and turned it inside out like a blowfish. Cooked it and didn't expect all the bones in top part. Taste great. But bones.  Did I cut spine too high on fish?  Cut em right in front of horns by head.

Edited by jpiercy13

47 mins ago, jpiercy13 said:

I tried it and turned it inside out like a blowfish. Cooked it and didn't expect all the bones in top part. Taste great. But bones.  Did I cut spine too high on fish?  Cut em right in front of horns by head.

That sounds about right. Cut the dorsal and anal spines off, just deep enough to slice through the skin. Cut through the spine just behind the head. Bend the head down and pull. Cut tail off. If cooked right the meat flakes right off the spine and bones. I usually find about 10 or so pin bones, rib bones maybe? I forget. But I never thought them to be too boney. However, I did give some to a friend a few weeks ago, and he commented on how boney it was. And this is a man who loves trout :headscratch:

Try to keep other conversations, inquires, and rants in the appropriate threads. If you have a question about something that would make a good thread on it's own, please start one.

For all of you new to the site, this is how you should make your report. It's up to you how much information you give, but please keep it within the rules and no spot-burning or specific locations.

Out front (oceanfront) or In the back (rivers, bays, and inlets),

Conditions

What you were fishing for,

What you were using,

What you caught. 

You can say that you caught fish in Ocean County but saying that you got them at Ocean Beach is a no-no.

The location terms to use are..........
Monmouth County
Ocean County
Atlantic County
Cape May County
North Jersey for the Hudson and other waters north of Raritan Bay.
County name plus "In the back" for Inlets, Rivers, and Bays

7 hours ago, JMB said:

Why are you guys posting last September’s reports?

Good question. 

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, JMB said:

Because it's not, the original poster put 2017 instead of 2018. 

It's THIS YEAR'S reports thread. It's a typo. 

Edited by Danny1199

Looks like it was restarted in another thread with correct date in subject line.

Jeffapeiken started a new Sept thread, a couple of hours ago, so this should be a real interesting month, with guys trying to decide where to post! Time for a referee to step in.!  :box:

I didn't even notice the wrong year on the last thread. Let's keep it on the correct year and post on this one because last years fall sucked. 

As the OP I think UncleJohn can edit the title or a mod can do it. This bunch of people are screwed up enough without this happening.

27 mins ago, FishingmaniYaks said:

I didn't even notice the wrong year on the last thread. Let's keep it on the correct year and post on this one because last years fall sucked. 

Agreed!

JD

8 hours ago, JMB said:

They're not a very observant bunch.