UncleJohn

September 2018 Fishing Report

283 posts in this topic

So where did all the mullet go?  Thought this morning would have had some of them on the move again, but not where I was.  Great looking water, just no bait of any kind showing, except for bugs.  Did get one early and lost another on a chartreuse swimmer, but that was it.  Had a spot with a real nice rip, just didn't produce.  Went back to the car and got the bug'en rod to drift a few, but no interest in them either.  Looking at my old logs, if the mullet are going to make a real showing it should be starting this week.  Will give it another look this evening.

DSCF2414.JPG

Nomo out front today from 11-1. Really nice water and structure looks great after all of the storms. Ended with 2 missed hits and dropped one in the wash. Suprised with the look of the water there wasn't much action. 

Out front, MoCo from 3-4 pm. A couple of hits, but that was it. Enough wave action and white water to produce fish, but nada. Water is still quite warm and it doesn't look like there is any cold weather in the in the near future to bring the temp down. Did have one of my curly tails bit off by a blue. 

Surf line was loaded with small sand bugs, but no other bait visible.

Well this afternoon into eve was one of those fishing days to remember. Tried multiple spots in the back of moco. No luck..so tried a lesser known spot within walking distance still in the back. Next 45 mins was an inclose mini blitz of 24 inch bass and blues. Was switching between a gibbs pencil and an sp minnow. In the middle of the action a keeper fluke joined in on the SP. Finished the night with 8 bass, 2 blues, and a fluke.  

IMG_20180917_203708_660.jpg

Was out again this evening looking for those missing mullet.  Only saw one very small pod in a pocket.  Best I could do was a single small blue fish.  Talked to a surfer who said there were stripers out there.  Well, you couldn't prove it by me.  Back out in the morning as long as the T storms don't show.

Fished out back in Oc tonight. It was very quiet, almost spooky. No bait, or surface activity. Got one short on a black paddle tail. 

Edited by Gr8tfuldad
Auto spell check

Out front in MoCo from 5pm-7pm. Found good waves and a nice trough that held some fish.  Ended up with three 20in extra green bass on shad right at the lip. Didn’t see any bait.

Sunday evening moco - took the long walk and found only a small amount of bait around. Picked up two cocktails on metals

Fished out front Monmouth county. there was a lot of debris in the water, no visable bait, and no action. Went out back shortly after to fish the outgoing and found my first keeper fluke right before last light which I just ate, lol. After that I found two nice blues 5#-7# and a 22" bass. I only fished for 2 hours and could of definitely got into some more fish with the change of tide but I decided to take my dinner and go. There was a ton of rainfish and a good amount of mullet where I was. Also dozens of these glow in the dark jelly fish(green) all around me. Anybody know what they are called?

A guy fishing near me threw a cast net out and picked up about 15 mullet in one throw and was live lining them without a touch for about an hour and a half. I got all my fish by jigging bottom water column with soft plastics both small and large. Sure wish  I was feeling more optimistic about finding a weakfish because I would of stayed!

Great report Jerseypride. Good Intel on the mullet still moving. As Mc55 stated we need them to come out and play in about a week down our beaches as long as weather cooperates and temps stay cooler.

1 hour ago, Jerseypride said:

Anybody know what they are called?

Comb jellies. Not actually jellyfish as they have no stingers and are ctenaphores.

5 hours ago, surfcityNJ said:

Comb jellies. Not actually jellyfish as they have no stingers and are ctenaphores.

Ok, Thank you. so I guess they aren't harmful?

Nothing but the skunk this morning.  Great looking water, but again no visible bait around and no signs of fish.  Hit 3 different areas and same story in each spot.  Maybe the front passing through today and a wind shift to the NW will get'em interested again.  In any case, will just keep on keeping.

10 hours ago, Jerseypride said:

Ok, Thank you. so I guess they aren't harmful?

Unless you piss them off! Then they swarm and attack as one! Green machine!