September 2018 Fishing Report

Rate this topic

UncleJohn

11 hours ago, LenDawg24 said:

Gotta help my mother in law move some things this weekend down in ocean county at her house. Think the water will be unfishable Friday/Saturday? She’s 2 blocks either way from ocean and bay so doesn’t matter which. Was really hoping to get rewarded for doing some moving but im thinking the worst and don’t wanna get my hopes up if it’s gonna be impossible.. any thoughts??

I can't imagine things would have calmed enough from Florence to really fish effectively out front on Friday and Saturday---MAYBE on Saturday but expect leftover swells as a best-case scenario. Fishing in the bay is a safer bet.

On 9/7/2018 at 0:08 PM, NJCoast82 said:

About 1K barrels in the Port Reading area. Heard it’s contained. Can’t confirm but believe it may be diesel fuel and not oil.

Don't believe everything you hear!

Taken this morning at 8 a.m.

20180912_082936.jpg.5d2ede86573291388c7d4776344d280c.jpg

I was on the Arthur Kill the morning of the spill. 6 miles north of it, with an incoming tide. The entire Arthur Kill River was covered in diesel fuel. I cannot imagine, how many gallons got up into the Hudson River. Lou

Edited by Lou T

Conditions not so bad out there this morning.  Bigger water, but rather clean after the blow.  Little to no wind and you did need to pay attention to the surf action, but very fishable.  Lots and lots of sand movement for sure, but also new and bigger bigger holes and cuts too.  Started off on the stones picking two, but was starting to get a bit dicey as the tide was coming in so moved to the sand.  Think I should have started there cause after a couple of casts had fish on.  Small bait along with lots of bugs in the shallows.  Some small mullet pods appeared as I made my walk and even saw a few bass flip through them.  Was picking up fish in only a couple of feet of water.  Everything seemed to be feeding in the shallow water.  Finished the morning with 11, lost a couple more along with a number of other hits.  Nothing over 25 inches, but much better action then expected.  Everything caught on one of my swimmers in white, yellow or orange.  May take another look early afternoon as the tide drops out. 

DSCF2390.JPG

DSCF2391.JPG

Quick shot, out front MoCo, from 6:30-7:15 pm. Lots of white water, with waves building. Incoming tide. One solid hit and that was it. Water is definitely fishable, at least at this point in time. Didn't have the nice holes or cuts that others referred to, at least not where I was fishing. A  LOT of sand added . The trough I had along the beach a couple of weeks ago is not there now. Much flatter conditions. Will work up the beach in hopes of finding more cuts, etc.

13 hours ago, Lou T said:

Don't believe everything you hear!

Taken this morning at 8 a.m.

20180912_082936.jpg.5d2ede86573291388c7d4776344d280c.jpg

I was on the Arthur Kill the morning of the spill. 6 miles north of it, with an incoming tide. The entire Arthur Kill River was covered in diesel fuel. I cannot imagine, how many gallons got up into the Hudson River. Lou

Just like the good old days. 

F**king criminals. 

16 hours ago, MC55 said:

Conditions not so bad out there this morning.  Bigger water, but rather clean after the blow.  Little to no wind and you did need to pay attention to the surf action, but very fishable.  Lots and lots of sand movement for sure, but also new and bigger bigger holes and cuts too.  Started off on the stones picking two, but was starting to get a bit dicey as the tide was coming in so moved to the sand.  Think I should have started there cause after a couple of casts had fish on.  Small bait along with lots of bugs in the shallows.  Some small mullet pods appeared as I made my walk and even saw a few bass flip through them.  Was picking up fish in only a couple of feet of water.  Everything seemed to be feeding in the shallow water.  Finished the morning with 11, lost a couple more along with a number of other hits.  Nothing over 25 inches, but much better action then expected.  Everything caught on one of my swimmers in white, yellow or orange.  May take another look early afternoon as the tide drops out. 

DSCF2390.JPG

DSCF2391.JPG

Hey is that salmon red?

Now that's a great September morning!

Awesome job Mike. Thanks you for posting. It gives us hope for fall. 

Even cooler that you caught on your creations!

Kept it up!

JD

Fished out back on under a bridge with street lights. Water was high and moving quickly. Fished for 2 hours with only small blues and once the tide slowed and the sun sank the bass started gulping their way through all the bait. Managed to get 8 shorts with grey and green plastic shads. Fun night with lots of action. These fish seemed fat for their size 18-24".

Fished out back again last night and the peanuts were certainly thick with some bigger fish on them. Unfortunately I could not get a hit through all the bait. Tried topwater, swim shads, various plugs, bucktails, even live lined a couple peanuts. Only a couple small blues to show for it. The splashes were much bigger than the other night last week. Going to have to look into some other techniques to figure these fish out.

Last night out back fished top of tide to beginning of outgoing. Ended up with 2 blues and 3 stripers. Lost one that felt like a pretty decent fish but lost it due to stupidity (bad knot). After losing my 5th shad, 2nd bucktails, and 1 slugo I called it a night.

Edited by Ripnowell45

So conditions early this morning were still pretty good.  Water was clean with a bit more churn then yesterday, stronger NE wind and fishable. As soon as there was a little light the fish started hitting.  Saw a few popping out of the water chasing what mullet there was around.  Tossed the plastics again and finished up the morning landing 8, loosing 3 others and getting a number of other bumps.  Only problem was the deteriorating conditions as the morning went on.  Wind that started out at maybe 5 mph was blowing over 10 by the time I left at 8:30.  A much bigger swell developed pushing some bigger breakers to the beach.  I left because the wave surges were pushing water way up the beach making it tough, and a bit hairy, to stay close enough to fish.  You could also see the brown foam starting, which isn't a good sign.  Checking some of the wave forecasts, they are calling for things to begin settling down later today, so might not be too bad by tomorrow mornings low tide.  Will give it another go then.

DSCF2397.JPG

On 9/12/2018 at 0:18 PM, MC55 said:

DSCF2390.JPG

DSCF2391.JPG

Nice fat fish

• Sudsy locked this topic