UncleJohn

September 2018 Fishing Report

446 posts in this topic

Try to keep other conversations, inquires, and rants in the appropriate threads. If you have a question about something that would make a good thread on it's own, please start one.

For all of you new to the site, this is how you should make your report. It's up to you how much information you give, but please keep it within the rules and no spot-burning or specific locations.

Out front (oceanfront) or In the back (rivers, bays, and inlets),

Conditions

What you were fishing for,

What you were using,

What you caught. 

You can say that you caught fish in Ocean County but saying that you got them at Ocean Beach is a no-no.

The location terms to use are..........
Monmouth County
Ocean County
Atlantic County
Cape May County
North Jersey for the Hudson and other waters north of Raritan Bay.
County name plus "In the back" for Inlets, Rivers, and Bays.

Fished out front from 0430-0830. Low water, bad tides. But there was bait splashing about 100 yards out from sun up until I left. It was snappers blowing up on rainfish, but it was enough to keep me interested and casting. I was snagging snappers on my epoxy jig, but unfortunately nothing good was on em. I'll be back out tonight and/or tomorrow morning. I dont want to miss anything this time of year. The wind died down and water was clear. A never ending pod of dolphins showed up and I called it quits

Fished from the surf around a river mouth in MoCo from 6-ish last night until 1 AM.  Flung tins for a while to no avail and tried bait.  Nothing but a few small dogfish on the bait.  Slow night.  Didn't see anybody catching fish or other signs of life in the water.  The surf was choppy but the water looked warm and relatively clear for the most part. I blame the lack of action on the lousy tide and the chop.  

Same morning as Jerseypride, we may have been fishing the same beach. Loads and loads of 2lb blues, dolphins putting on an absolute show going totally airborne. Lots of fluke around too, I was even getting them on a Daddy Mac jig and the guys targeting them had dozens.

Last night 9-11, marina in CMC.

Always tons of peanut bunker at this place, usually being chased by micro snappers.  Something bigger was blowing up on them, so tried a smack it jr.  No love, so switched to my spring time go to of 1/2 oz bucktail and a swimshad.  Nailed stripers 12-18 inches consistently until some 2 lbs blues showed up and stopped the fun.

Nice to see after the hard east wind push that the bait is still hugging the wash. This is the month that starts it all. Gotta be prepared for anything in the next few weeks to come. Awesome times.

Out back, CMC, this morning 0200 to 0700. Water was calm and 77 degrees. Tossing plastics, buck tails and sp's. The action was slow picked up six very small bass 14-17 inches. Found a crazy amount of bait, and fished a very small plastic bait and hooked up with a few blues and a short fluke. Tossed the casting net and pulled in way too many peanut bunker. Tossed all but a few over and started live lining. Could not get one fish there, although a few cam back only a head. Moved to a quieter place and pulled in one more striped on a live peanut. Fun night. Try it again tonight.

Posted (edited)

Dam, @GreenMachine and I fished hard from 6am-11 south MOCO nothing but 1 20” striper. Tins, bucktails, SP, epoxy... insane amount of bait in the water. Maybe he’ll post a pic of his fish. Hit a pt Jude tin 

Edited by MikedNJ

Fished out back today on the kayak. I was busy all morning catching about 35 fluke but only 2 were keepers. If action makes you happy, then this would have been a good day for you. Also... 5 huge sea robins which fought better than the fluke. 

6 hours ago, MikedNJ said:

Dam, @GreenMachine and I fished hard from 6am-11 south MOCO nothing but 1 20” striper. Tins, bucktails, SP, epoxy... insane amount of bait in the water. Maybe he’ll post a pic of his fish. Hit a pt Jude tin 

Out front or back?

1 hour ago, EricJ said:

Fished out back today on the kayak. I was busy all morning catching about 35 fluke but only 2 were keepers. If action makes you happy, then this would have been a good day for you. Also... 5 huge sea robins which fought better than the fluke. 

Never ate a sea robin till this year.  If you are throwing them back you are missing a halfway decent meal

6 mins ago, Baccigalup said:

Never ate a sea robin till this year.  If you are throwing them back you are missing a halfway decent meal

Agreed 100% I did a side by side comparison a few months back with fluke. Granted, I prepared them differently, but I kept going back for more sea robin.

Just now, chitala383 said:

Agreed 100% I did a side by side comparison a few months back with fluke. Granted, I prepared them differently, but I kept going back for more sea robin.

If i catch a decent sized one from now on its lights out for mr sea robin