woodbutcher

Happy VJ DAY

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Thank god for the bomb, my dad was in route for the invasion after putting in 31/2 yrs in N Africa, Italy, etc. So many Purple Hearts minted for the invasion that I think they're still being awarded to this day. I believe the Bronze and Silver stars ran out during the Vietnam war.

46 mins ago, MikeMc said:

USA USA USA USA!!!

Took a course once with a guy who had been on the Bataan Death March. Man, did that guy hate the Japanese. 

Stories of several armed American POWs that went back to Japan looking for revenge.

4 hours ago, MikeMc said:

USA USA USA USA!!!

Took a course once with a guy who had been on the Bataan Death March. Man, did that guy hate the Japanese. 

my moms uncle "english" was in a Japanese camp, he hated those little ****ers,

my dad's step dad lost his leg on the bataan death March, he wasnt real fond of orientals either...

1 min ago, HugeDinghy said:

And those fuqs try and make us out to the the bad guys. Not sorry. Not even a little. Wish we dropped four more on their asses. 

^^^^ this

7 hours ago, richie c said:

Thank god for the bomb...

Thank god for both of them.

Both the Germans and Japanese knew in theory how to make atomic bombs but had nothing close to the industrial might needed to actually produce one, much less do it during wartime with so many more exigent demands on industrial capacities.

On August 6, 1945 the smoldering ruins of Hiroshima proved to the Japanese that they had woefully underestimated the ability of The United States to produce a bomb, but certainly no nation on earth could possibly have the industrial might required to have produced more-- or so they thought.

Three days later on August 9, Nagasaki proved to the Japanese that they had absolutely no concept of just how enormous was that "Sleeping Giant" that they had awoken.

I think I read somewhere, that at the time it took something like 10% of the power generated by the Tennessee Valley Authority to power all the mass spectrometers used to separate the U235 from the much more abundant U238 . I think I also read that they didn't have enough copper for all the wire necessary to make the electromagnets in so many mass spectrometers, so they instead used silver borrowed from Fort Knox.  

I sometimes wonder if the japps would have decided to keep fighting had they known that we was fresh out of atomic bombs. 

Edited by woodbutcher