Step in the right direction.........

Rate this topic

robc22

did not read the whole story. Is there an increase in fines for the guys that are buying the fish?

I don’t think it is enough. Poachers are not gonna worry about a license and the buyers are not getting enough of a penalty to stop the next one from doing the same. 

One guy that was buying got caught and lost a bunch. Seems to be not enough cuz there  are obviously guys still buying. This poaching is not a recreational thing this is all commercial and I have been saying it forever, they cannot police themselves from stopping this, stop all that have commercial licenses, and not allow them to get another. Time and time again they prove me right.

25 mins ago, scott7980 said:

g. This poaching is not a recreational thing this is all commercial and I have been saying it forever, they cannot police themselves from stopping this, stop all that have commercial licenses, and not allow them to get another. Time and time again they prove me right.

Actually you are very wrong....so by your logic, there is no poaching going on before and after comm season? It's usually worse, since there are less EPOs around

39 mins ago, gray gables said:

100$fine if you ask me. 

Its got to be some sort of fine. Not just no license means if caught, you have to go home.  

Don't you think some saltwater signs stating saltwater regs placed in strategic location would help? They have every other kind of sign on the canal, some in 3 languages. Even pick up your dog poop signs.Why not a fishing related sign.

Edited by bob_G

The Sultan of Sluggo

34 mins ago, bob_G said:

Its got to be some sort if fine. Not just no license mean if caught, you have to go home.  

Don't you think some saltwater signs stating saltwater regs placed in strategic location would help? They have every other kind of sign on the canal, some in 3 languages. Even pick up your dog poop.Why not a fishing related sign.

place is a wreck down there. Haven't been down at all this yr due to work and other reasons. After next yr things will change for me and my family and I'll have a place for the rest of my life down there. 

11 hours ago, bob_G said:

Its got to be some sort of fine. Not just no license means if caught, you have to go home.  

Don't you think some saltwater signs stating saltwater regs placed in strategic location would help? They have every other kind of sign on the canal, some in 3 languages. Even pick up your dog poop signs.Why not a fishing related sign.

There is one sign at the Scussett parking lot about the saltwater license laws.  A proposal was made at the end of the '17 season to the Corps by a well known saltwater fishing club to install informational signage along the Canal, at no cost to the Corps, with the signs being donated by a tackle manufacturer and labor by the club.  This proposal along with another concerning trash was shot down by the ACOE.  We see, as fishermen, many problems that should be addressed whereas the ACOE could care less.

Why not just make sense?
Rec:

No License and Caught Fishing:  $100 + Gear Confiscated

No License and 1 Fish in Posession:  $200 + Gear confiscated 

No License and > 1 Fish in Posession (over limit):  $1000 + Gear confiscated + registered in state as a poacher

2nd Offense  : $1000 + Gear Confiscated & Arrested in jail until fine paid.

AND add fines for anyone deemed to be aiding in the act of poaching (bucket runners)

R&R

Commercial R&R License  and over limit - first offense : $1000 + Gear Confiscated

Commercial R&R License  and over limit - second offense : $5000 + Gear Confiscated + Loss of R&R license for X years.

DITCH TROLL

At the very least.. if someone claims they don't know because they don't know the language, take their gear for crying out loud!

They know what they're doing, you know they know what they're doing.    Tell them they can come claim it after they buy their license at headquarters.  Which they won't.

DITCH TROLL

2 mins ago, pogie_boy said:

Why not just make sense?
Rec:

No License and Caught Fishing:  $100 + Gear Confiscated

No License and 1 Fish in Posession:  $200 + Gear confiscated 

No License and > 1 Fish in Posession (over limit):  $1000 + Gear confiscated + registered in state as a poacher

2nd Offense  : $1000 + Gear Confiscated & Arrested in jail until fine paid.

AND add fines for anyone deemed to be aiding in the act of poaching (bucket runners)

R&R

Commercial R&R License  and over limit - first offense : $1000 + Gear Confiscated

Commercial R&R License  and over limit - second offense : $5000 + Gear Confiscated + Loss of R&R license for X years.

This and many others have posted great ideas for handling poachers, but, the Judges do not enforce the penalties now let alone making them more stringent...….

10 hours ago, pogie_boy said:

At the very least.. if someone claims they don't know because they don't know the language, take their gear for crying out loud!

They know what they're doing, you know they know what they're doing.    Tell them they can come claim it after they buy their license at headquarters.  Which they won't.

Ignorance of the fishing laws due to a language difference is no excuse. It's everybody's responsibility to know the laws. Hang em high!

On 9/3/2018 at 3:31 PM, TonyO said:

Actually you are very wrong....so by your logic, there is no poaching going on before and after comm season? It's usually worse, since there are less EPOs around

As a recreational fishermen, poaching is done by both recreational and commercial a few bad apples in every bunch , Poaching does not just include the selling of fish and Tony O I must agree with you from years of fishing and observing the actions of this process in some cases it is not always about the dollars the fish may bring on the open market.

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal