robc22

Step in the right direction.........

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

The price of poaching just went up . Todays CCT front page brings a whole new look to how poachers will be fined . The article indicated that as a result of all the poaching in the cape Cod canal especially and all of the complaints filed by those of us that are concerned about what is going on they updated the fines to the 21 first century and what other states are doing to combat a few  fishermen that are giving the rest of us a bad name. Not only will the fines be cash penalties, but  jail sentences as well. The confiscating of more gear and also the loss of permits or license for three years has already begun as a result of the poachers in and around the canal . This should now make the cost of poaching more then then just doing business as usual as the fines overall will be more then the price of selling it on the market as I understand the article. If some one could take the time to put this up here every one would see a good thing was done for the striped bass resource . The Link that Rob put up also has the new regulations that is covered in todays CCT

Edited by Angler #1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, night owl said:

I still think the penalties are week. Better than nothing though....

Agree, but as rob said a step in the right direction 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for posting Rob! 

Definitely a BIG step forward!! 

As much as I hate signs.... these new penalties should be posted everywhere along the Ditch, in every language to eliminate the language barrier excuse.

All the EPOs have to do is point at the sign and hand them the fine :rav:

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 mins ago, TBYRD said:

Thanks for posting Rob! 

Definitely a BIG step forward!! 

As much as I hate signs.... these new penalties should be posted everywhere along the Ditch, in every language to eliminate the language barrier excuse.

All the EPOs have to do is point at the sign and hand them the fine :rav:

  

:howdy::beatin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TBYRD said:

Thanks for posting Rob! 

Definitely a BIG step forward!! 

As much as I hate signs.... these new penalties should be posted everywhere along the Ditch, in every language to eliminate the language barrier excuse.

All the EPOs have to do is point at the sign and hand them the fine :rav:

  

Agree, it's a step, but all this means little to deterrence unless there are "feet on the ground" busting these guys, as opposed to EPOs just cruising by occasionally in their trucks. No one's going to be scared off by increased penalties until these guys see their buddies getting booked and fined. That's the only way it's going to sink in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not having a license should mean a ticket 100% of the time. I've seen so many people caught without licenses, and simply told they have to pack up and leave. I don't understand this? :dismay: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've thought a simple ticket that resembles a traffic ticket might help. You can't renew your license or car registration without paying it. Enforcing small fines is a pain for the courts/towns and this would eliminate that headache.

Hope word spreads that fines are going up, to the offending crowd of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 mins ago, Somethingsfishy said:

I've thought a simple ticket that resembles a traffic ticket might help. You can't renew your license or car registration without paying it. Enforcing small fines is a pain for the courts/towns and this would eliminate that headache.

Hope word spreads that fines are going up, to the offending crowd of course.

I saw nothing about increased fines for not having a license.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bdowning said:

Agree, it's a step, but all this means little to deterrence unless there are "feet on the ground" busting these guys, as opposed to EPOs just cruising by occasionally in their trucks. No one's going to be scared off by increased penalties until these guys see their buddies getting booked and fined. That's the only way it's going to sink in.

Yes.  Staffing is probably a far bigger cause of ineffective law enforcement. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fines and penalties increases are indeed a step in the right direction and both DMF and Environmental Law Enforcement worked hard to bring about these increases.  Unfortunately, the emergency preamble attached to the overall Bond Bill was removed for these increases so they won't go into effect until early November.  The specific non-criminal fines for striped bass violations will double to $200.  An interesting question arises about serial violators who receive multiple citations and how the Environmental Police handle these individuals. We know of one who has received three.  The only remaining courses for these individuals is the Court or the promising in-house DMF adjudicatory hearing process which can result in loss of fishing permit(s).  Gear confiscation hurts but is a cumbersome process for the EPOs and the Courts have been known to return seized stuff. 

The additional $10/fish assessment for excess fish should probably been on a sliding scale, depending on the value of the fish, so perhaps that can be a change proposed for next year.  Confiscation of excess or all bass hurts the violator a lot more than a $10 fine per fish.   The framers of the original  per/ fish law had scup and herring, etc in mind, not stripers and bsb. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.