spbk84

Tsunami Airwave elite

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. I purchased a penn slammer 4500 and needed a rod for surf & jetti fishing in NJ. I visited Tackle Direct and picked up a 9’ 6” airwaive elite. Well I just noticed a little tag on it that read “boat/jigging rod. It’s Medium power,15-30 lb line, lure 3/4-3 oz.  I will be trying for stripers and blues. Did I buy the wrong rod? 

Edited by spbk84

How long is the But section. There good rods . I use a 9' Tica surf rod. I'v never used a boat rod before at the inlet on the rocks.. My Tica is 1 to 6 oz, but it handles like my 1/2 to 4 rod that it replaced. Now' I use a Star 7'6" surf rod I think rated to 2 oz for flounder from the surf. To me 3 oz might be a little light for chunking bait, but for casting small plugs it's ok.

Edited by hunter123

10 hours ago, spbk84 said:

Hello everyone. I purchased a penn slammer 4500 and needed a rod for surf & jetti fishing in NJ. I visited Tackle Direct and picked up a 9’ 6” airwaive elite. Well I just noticed a little tag on it that read “boat/jigging rod. It’s Medium power,15-30 lb line, lure 3/4-3 oz.  I will be trying for stripers and blues. Did I buy the wrong rod? 

Doesn't  sound like a boat rod. Can you post a pick of the tag and a pic of the rod that shows the model number/rating?

I have the 8+ and the 10+ Air Wave Elite rods for about 3 years. I love them both depending on conditions. Your rod should be  great. I think the reel should balance nicely. Have a really good Fall season with you new set up.

34 mins ago, MikedNJ said:

The 9’6 airwave was my first surf rod. Caught lots of fish. It’s a great rod for the money nice components. Sorry I sold mine 

Glad to hear. I am dying to try it out. 

Yes that’s the exact rod I had. It’s not just a beginner rod it’s a very nice rod. Not a sexy brand name like lami or odm but it’s right up there in performance.