Always_NoFo

What are the "strips" of calmer water?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Don't really know how to describe them, and obviously I don't know what they are, but especially in areas with heavy rips I see these strips of glass-calm water that run straight through these rips and out into deeper water. I've come to realize that they're something to aim for when casting, but I don't know why. I want to think that they are currents of some sort, but how is it that there is no visible turbulence? Anyone have an explanation or experiences with these things?

not sure what your describing, but it sounds like it could be a current seam. the flat strips being slower moving water due to a change in depth or an underwater structure or feature that deflects moving water around it. 

The only other way I could think to describe it is it looks like water does after a boat drives over it and the foam settles. Current seams make sense, but I've seen these things run almost orthogonal to the tidal currents before. Most notable being under the light in Montauk where they'll be angled at like 45° to the rips, and then out deeper they'll bend out Eastward. 

I call them wind slicks, but if you google Langmuir circulation, it’ll tell you how and why they form.  You’ll understand why they’re fishy... it’s a place where things collect- bait, weed, etc.

2 hours ago, Fitzy said:

I call them wind slicks, but if you google Langmuir circulation, it’ll tell you how and why they form.  You’ll understand why they’re fishy... it’s a place where things collect- bait, weed, etc.

Yup that's it. Thanks for this, I couldn't really think of what to call it, and as a STEM guy this bothered me to no end, because they have been producing. Interesting thing is it's almost always on the either side of the slick rather than inside it.

They can also be caused by predatory fish feeding on a real oily fish like bunker. The oil released breaks the waters surface tension and causes a slick, I think. I would imagine that you probably won’t see multiples in the same area though.

5 hours ago, Drummerbeedude said:

They can also be caused by predatory fish feeding on a real oily fish like bunker. The oil released breaks the waters surface tension and causes a slick, I think. I would imagine that you probably won’t see multiples in the same area though.

Yup, fish slicks definitely make a similar slick, but when i’ve seen them they look kinda like an organized blob that travels with the current until wind waves break em up.  I bet in a rip they look different- probably long and skinny.

You see a see a bunch of fish slicks on the cape and Nantucket when a seal gets a bass blue or Albie near the shore.  I’d love to see a seal slick when they get eaten!