geekWhoFishes

A memorable smallie and a good lesson

7 posts in this topic

My fishing adventure this morning was one I won't forget. I was fishing a deep and rocky pond in the Boston area in a Predator PDL. It was a slow first hour of fishing — I only had caught one 10 in. smallie on a drop shot rig, so I decided to find some water I hadn't fished. While working my way down a bank, I saw an overhanging bank with some rock that slid off to deeper water. I casted up on the rock and was dragged the drop shot back a few feet when I got a solid bite. When I set the hook, I thought I was snagged on a branch or something until it was clear that it was slowing swimming to deeper water. I get a look and know immediately that it is the biggest smallie I have ever hooked. After a big jump, lots of head shaking, and me trying to keep it from jumping, I get it in the boat. It is huge.

Then things get more exciting. I reach behind my seat to get my phone out of my backpack. As I am taking the phone out of my bag, I lose my grip and into the drink it goes. Not thinking, I reach in to try and grab it. Next thing I know, I am in the water with the fish and the kayak is upside down in probably 8-10 feet of water. First time I have ever flipped a kayak. I swim the kayak to shore while holding the tip of my rod and climb up on the rock that I think the smallie was hiding under. Flip the boat over. Realize that I lost my prescription sunglasses, which then makes unhooking the smallie more difficult than normal. And then while shaking I try and get a rough measurement against the rod — 21" or so. The MA state record was 22" and 8 lbs. 2 oz. so it is tempting to stretch the fish tale further. Even without a weight or proper measurement, I am sure it was my personal best smallie.

Besides coming up with a better system for handling my phone while kayaking, I think the biggest lesson is that I need to practice flipping the boat and climbing back in. It is crazy how quickly things can go south and you can end up in the water.

Edited by geekWhoFishes

I almost did exactly the same thing today ... dropped a Plano box into the water, circled to get it back ... first attempt was at fingertips ... almost took a tumble ... nother circle and used the net, tactical retreat to fight another day. Congrats on the Smallie :th:

Great story, glad you're such a good sport about it!  FWIW, when I have a camera or phone with me, it's in a PFD pocket and clipped to a short leash. The cam is waterproof and the phone has a waterproof case. The latter messes with pics a good deal, but I would not take an unprotected phone on the water, though it seems plenty do. I also have spare glasses in a case that stays inside the cockpit storage hatch for easy access.

Sorry about your glasses man and losing other stuff but that's a monster smallie!  Within site of Boston?  Charles River?  That's awesome! 

I owned and fished out of the pdl. Since you flipped it, do us a favor and take it apart at the bottom seal and tell us how much water got in there. One factory rep tells us the PDL is not sealed another one tells us it is. Water in that drive even if not salt water can wreak havoc.

I have flipped once and fallen out of my kayak once without without flipping. It happens in a heart beat. I lost a few things but nothing major in the flip. Stow or secure everything you want to keep.