Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
makomakoman

breaking the Tip Top epoxy

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Anyone use the boiling water method to loosen the tip top on (5min epoxy tips)?  I have a tuna rod that I need to replace the tip.  I usually just use an alcohol burner, but was wondering about the boiling water method.  

just curious.

thanks

Edited by makomakoman

I just do heat but I also do it under constant pressure Hook or hang the rod by the tip in some way. Apply heat while gentle pressure is pulling away from the tip when it is ready it releases.

On 9/3/2018 at 7:54 PM, makomakoman said:

if you heat it slow, you won't melt the blank.. no blowtorches.. geez..  It's a tuna rod.  last thing you want is to pop a top on nice fish.  

I do not agree with that .Most epoxy hold over  150 degrees Celsius so FAST heat on steel to melt epoxy inside before temp. get to blank is more safe then slow heating .BW , I don t think that boiling water will melt epoxy.........

Edited by Keltan

Removing 5-minute epoxy is why I no longer use five-minute epoxy. I do hot-melt glue, with a wrap as extra security, in case the rod gets left in a hot car. I melted more than one rod with heat trying to break the seal on five-minute epoxy.

5 hours ago, Keltan said:

I do not agree with that .Most epoxy hold over  150 degrees Celsius so FAST heat on steel to melt epoxy inside before temp. get to blank is more safe then slow heating .BW , I don t think that boiling water will melt epoxy.........

slow in terms of not keeping it over the flame for a long time.

I'm still thinking I read the boiling water in Rodmaker magazine or not, lol..