Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mike3dr

Cabo

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I'm staying in Cabo the first week of Jan, at the Hyatt, does anyone know how the beach fishing is there?  Should I bring my gear, or does anyone know a good guide for boat fishing out there?  Thanks 

4 hours ago, mike3dr said:

I'm staying in Cabo the first week of Jan, at the Hyatt, does anyone know how the beach fishing is there?  Should I bring my gear, or does anyone know a good guide for boat fishing out there?  Thanks 

The beach fishing should be a steady pick of Sierra Macs around sunrise.  You might get some jacks mixed in or who knows what else.  I’d highly recommend reaching out to Wes and do a day of guided surf fishing with him- it’s short money and you’ll be back to the hotel around 1:30 or 2:00.  If you can fish with Wes, then try to do it one of the first days you’re down there so you can pick his brain.

if you fish the surf at the hotel, bring an 11’ rod, 50-80lb leader (tied direct to the mainline), big epoxy jigs, sp minnows and some of the medium sized stick shads.

tie direct because if the Sierra are thick then they hit the swivel and cut you off when you’re hooked up.

the epoxy jigs I did well with were the larger ones that cast well, but not the heavies.  I also did well with #3 green deadly dicks.  Have fun!  Fishing there is a blast!

Edited by Fitzy

On 9/2/2018 at 6:40 PM, CrappieAttitude said:

You might want to contact Wes Brough (cabosurfcaster) - he guides people for surf fishing trips - great experience

thank you

On 9/2/2018 at 8:57 PM, Fitzy said:

The beach fishing should be a steady pick of Sierra Macs around sunrise.  You might get some jacks mixed in or who knows what else.  I’d highly recommend reaching out to Wes and do a day of guided surf fishing with him- it’s short money and you’ll be back to the hotel around 1:30 or 2:00.  If you can fish with Wes, then try to do it one of the first days you’re down there so you can pick his brain.

if you fish the surf at the hotel, bring an 11’ rod, 50-80lb leader (tied direct to the mainline), big epoxy jigs, sp minnows and some of the medium sized stick shads.

tie direct because if the Sierra are thick then they hit the swivel and cut you off when you’re hooked up.

the epoxy jigs I did well with were the larger ones that cast well, but not the heavies.  I also did well with #3 green deadly dicks.  Have fun!  Fishing there is a blast!

thank you

If you are going to bring the rod just be careful. I carried mine on the plane on the way down to cabo. On the way back they wouldn't allow it to be carried on and were gonna charge me an arm and a leg to ship it back. o be safe just check it both ways. I was trying to save a buck and it cost me.