Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kings over Queens

Ooops.

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Some 45 or more years ago when I worked in a gun shop we had a custom made super heavy duty bullet trap in the basement. 10's of thousands of rounds must have benn shot at it ranging from .22 to 44 mags without any problems. Then one day the owner had to test fire a 308 he repaired , fired two rounds and put two holes in it.

I'd feel less bad if i'd used green tip ammo, then it would be my fault.  Its still my fault but i really thought they were ar500.  I should check my receipt.

Come to think of it, i had the plate mounted in a 2 x 4.  I wonder if it were suspended on chain, like a gong, if that would have happened.

Edited by Kings over Queens

How close did you have it , I have spring resetting 8" plate made by MGM that's almost 20 years old and it was made with 500 steel but it said in the instructions , rifle it had to be 100 yards for

anything up to 308/3006 , 200+ for belted Mags , It has some pucks in it and did have a friend put 3 holes in it with some surplus AP 3006 but we just welded them up and ground it smooth and painted it .
You can weld and grind those pucks and good as new

22 mins ago, Kings over Queens said:

First berm, probably 25 yards, if not 50, but not more than that.

I have to look into welding it.  Hate to lose the plate.  Thanks

See if you have a community college near by that has welding program and stop in and see if they'll do it , A lot cheaper than a commercial shop.