Sqwiddig

Lure selection for exploring North Shore?

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

I have seen similar threads to this one over the years, but I thought I would make this one location specific.  I live in the Huntington-Northport area and I hit up an unfamiliar beach at sunset yesterday.  I went to try out a new Spinfisher V 5500 (on sale) and watch the sunset, and caught the sunset but didn't catch any fish.  Anyway, here is the question:

What is your "go to" for exploring a new beach, particularly a beach on the north shore of Long Island (or south shore of Conn), where the beach is rocky, the waves are minimal, etc? 

I only had about an hour to kill, so I just clipped on a salt pro minnow.  A shallow plastic swimmer like a bomber/redfin/salt pro seems like the best bet for exploring a new area to me, but I am curious what other folks think.  

1 OZ Cotton cordell pencil popper is an absolute must.

1 oz crocodile

bone jumping minnow 

1 oz SS floating popper

and or 3/4 oz guide choice polaris popper in white.

Those lures should be able draw some reaction if anything is around

Some great suggestions in here, and I'd definitely +1 the SS popper. Tsunami Talkin poppers are great as well, but I'd only use pencils if trying to poke around a more specific spot

The lightest bucktail you can throw with some distance, fan cast, cover water, vary retrieve speed and cadence

Use a soft plastic curly tail as a trailer to help with buoyancy, your area can get sticky as the tide drops

Same applies with a small swim shad

Hopkins....don't get stuck but youll have fun ,will catch a variety

Try to find moving water with a depth change 

Watch birds and bait

Tight lines

Good stuff.  Given the opportunity I would go with both a popper and a plastic swimmer.  I like poppers of all sorts, especially at dusk and dawn, but I am glad that I went with the plastic swimmer in this instance.  I have the reel loaded with Fireline, and with the way you can manipulate the depth of the lure with the angle of the rod, I walked and fan-cast and got a pretty fair sense of the depth and the bottom.

I don't usually think of bucktails as a way to explore a new spot, just because if I am not familiar with an area, I usually wind up spending too much time switching bucktails to find the right size for the area and/or losing one or two on the bottom.  That said, I think I might put this reel on a lighter rod, and use it to refine my bucktail technique at this little beach.  

Thanks for the replies and the inspiration.  Tight lines and a happy holiday to all.     

Usually poppers(polaris, stillwater smackit, tsunami talkin)  and bombers or sp minnows work great for me. White or yellow. And i always carry epoxy jigs for the albies when they come thru in late September. 7’6” is good for the lighter stuff and when ittjust bass and blues i go for my 9’ for the extra distance and backbone. Look for the birds like everyone says. 

Have to go against the grain here..

Get some clams from your local B&T , bring 'em home and split into smaller portions, salt in a few small ziploc backs, toss them in your freezer and  grab a small one when you go out fishing new waters.

If you arent into "planning" and just keep a rod in your car\truck and fish on a moments notice,  get some gulp swimming mullets and a few size jig heads and leave them in your vehicle and you are good to go.

Whenever I explore a new area, I always bring clam to see what "life" is out there and if I don't have clam I swim GULP around...I have caught EVERYTHING on gulp, Blue's (incl Snappers), Stripers, Fluke, Gurnard, Blowfish, Porgy, Stargazers, Rays, Dogfish bla bla bla.

Once I have a sense of where fish are holding and what species, then I ditch the bait and start working my lure arsenal.

IMHO  poppers are best when you KNOW fish are around... you'll be tossing a popper for hours if you arent right on an aggressive feed ( my opinion only )

Regarding bucktails, there is a learning curve, even for fluke, someone may be mindless bouncing a bucktail and catching fish every 30 mins, but the guy next to him is lock and load every cast.

And if you plan to swim a bucktail for other species... you better bring your A game sir

Enjoy

On 9/3/2018 at 1:12 PM, Grummantigerman said:

Usually poppers(polaris, stillwater smackit, tsunami talkin)  and bombers or sp minnows work great for me. White or yellow. And i always carry epoxy jigs for the albies when they come thru in late September. 7’6” is good for the lighter stuff and when ittjust bass and blues i go for my 9’ for the extra distance and backbone. Look for the birds like everyone says. 

Change that from 7'6" to 7'9" and from epoxy jigs to deadly dick, and I could have written the same.

7 hours ago, baldadonis2002 said:

Have to go against the grain here..

Get some clams from your local B&T , bring 'em home and split into smaller portions, salt in a few small ziploc backs, toss them in your freezer and  grab a small one when you go out fishing new waters.

If you arent into "planning" and just keep a rod in your car\truck and fish on a moments notice,  get some gulp swimming mullets and a few size jig heads and leave them in your vehicle and you are good to go.

Whenever I explore a new area, I always bring clam to see what "life" is out there and if I don't have clam I swim GULP around...I have caught EVERYTHING on gulp, Blue's (incl Snappers), Stripers, Fluke, Gurnard, Blowfish, Porgy, Stargazers, Rays, Dogfish bla bla bla.

Once I have a sense of where fish are holding and what species, then I ditch the bait and start working my lure arsenal.

IMHO  poppers are best when you KNOW fish are around... you'll be tossing a popper for hours if you arent right on an aggressive feed ( my opinion only )

Regarding bucktails, there is a learning curve, even for fluke, someone may be mindless bouncing a bucktail and catching fish every 30 mins, but the guy next to him is lock and load every cast.

And if you plan to swim a bucktail for other species... you better bring your A game sir

Enjoy

5 hours ago, GarbageFish said:

3/4 bucktail or jig head with shad was killing it a few months ago.

Interesting ideas, thanks gents. 

Yellow 1 ounce super strike popper is my go to, the black eye sinkers cast a mile and you can slowly reel them and they swim great. Many fish hit while swimming them.

Cotton Cordell pencils. Very cheap and they work. My two biggest bass ever were caught on them.

yozuri Mag darter... casts great and catch fish.

chicken scratch bomber because it just works.

Funny you mention... I have caught absolutely everything on a chicken scratch bomber

Blues, fluke, sea robbin, shad and even snagged a few peanuts... all in the same day  ( course this was back in early June )