lisurfer49

Something between a 1/2T and 3/4T.

14 posts in this topic

I’m about a year out, but I’m just about ready to move on from my ‘06 Tundra. I’d love to find something between a half ton and 3/4 ton, if it exists. I like the look of newer tundras and the new Nissan Titan looks promising. This is a personal vehicle, but will be used for work and want something that can tow equipment for landscape construction. I don’t have one now but a skid steer is in also in my planned future.

any experience with new tundras towing this kind of equipment? The titan actually seems capable, even saw one with a 5th wheel and multi car trailer.

otherwise I will move on to a 250/2500 series truck. 

Chevy and possibly others did offer 1500HD models a few years back. Basically 1/2 ton with higher towing capacity, 3/4 ton drive lines and brakes. You'd be surprised by the tow ratings on the 1/2 ton trucks today.

I've got a '14 Tundra and have a trailer behind it 80% of the time. Typically I'm towing in the 3-5,000 lbs range and have had upwards of 9,000 lbs behind it and it's done fine, even pulling across mountains. It's max tow rating for just shy of 10,000lbs, so I don't know if it would be great for dragging a skid steer and trailer around unless you got a small one.

All good trucks that you mentioned.  The Titan is supposed to the the elusive 5/8 ton you're looking for.  If towing is a big deal I would just go for a 3/4 though.  That 5 liter cummins in the nissan is pretty cool though as is the 5.7L toyota V8

If your towing and working landscape I can imagine why you wouldn’t just go 3/4 Ton instead of going with just good enough.  I have driven and towed with plenty of the new 1/2 tons and even though they can do it the 3/4 does it better.

2 hours ago, jonnyd said:

If your towing and working landscape I can imagine why you wouldn’t just go 3/4 Ton instead of going with just good enough.  I have driven and towed with plenty of the new 1/2 tons and even though they can do it the 3/4 does it better.

That's why you go with a 1 ton, I prefer a daullie. I have a half, 3/4 ,and two 1 tons,one  is a daullie. I feel the most comfortable using the daullie for any serious loads. 3/4 and 1 of one tons are diesels. If I was in the landscape business and was going to pull a skid steer, then you will want a big dump trailer. You got to think what you will need in a couple years. Nobody ever said "I wish I went for the lighter truck to tow ". I prefer not to use my towing trucks as daily drivers. Why put miles on a heavy duty truck. Drive a car or a little 1/2 ton for your daily driver, leave the real truck parked.

Don't listen to me, I have more vehicles than some of you have fishing rods.

This is by far the most recent Titan thread we have.  IF we have anyone with beach experience on a current or recent Titan, I'd like to hear a little detail.

Goodvibrations, how was your truck, on the beach, this season past?  Where do you use it?

I note - took a look at Edmund's, a site whose reviews are skimpier then in the past - that the Titan XD can be had with a gas V-8 (I have no need for diesel) and 4x4.  The site may be sloppy in not detailing what kind of "4x4" the truck really uses, I won't look at anything with a mis-badged AWD system.  A 6 1/2' bed on a crew cab would be fine. (Air mattress in the back, sleep stretched out, and I'm happy. Very happy.) Driver aids are less comprehensive then on many trucks, some dated parts. Can anyone update me further?

What you ended up with?

Chevy has a max tow package, likely other do.   3/4 tons have alot of brake and axle capacity.  Good trailering in the burbs means good brakes or good insurance.   IF you're well balanced, brakes and tires are in good shape, and the brake controller is set right 1/2 can do alot.   Otherwise, the truck is doing the brunt of the work.

There is a huge different in braking quality between replacement rotors and pads.   OEM is usually good.  

But commercially, you can get tagged if your overweight on a 1/2 ton.

The added plus of a 3/4 ton, a lance camper fits on there nice.   

Far as I know, you want more than a regular cab and a 8ft bed, 3/4 and up is the way to go.

I wandered around the 'net after my last post.  The Titan isn't impressing many users or reviewers. The Cummins diesel offers less, over the V-8, then most reviewers expect. Some fit & finish issues, very limited driver aids, just not competitive with current American product.  Obviously, there's a price break between the Titan and a 150 or 1500, etc. 

A skid steer capable of lifting a pallet of sod or pavers will weigh 8,000 lbs +. Add in a trailer, attachments etc. and your looking at 3/4 ton minimum. If it's your weekend job, get a Toro dingo, a Subaru and some Zima.

Just kidding, but you will really appreciate the extra towing capacity and stopping power. I've never complained about my 2500 being over powered. Could have used some more umpf a couple times. Besides you want to put a snow plow on it anyway.