Chunkah

Gas Grill

Rate this topic

66 posts in this topic

So we are doing a major renovation at the Chunkah household that involves adding a deck off what will be the newly expanded kitchen. We have been buying cheap grills for years and usually get 2, 3, or 4 years out of a grill that is under $200.00. But, since we are upgrading things rather significantly (likely the one and only major renovation we will ever do) I am considering buying a really nice grill for the new deck and getting it piped in with natural gas....no more tanks. Just not sure it is worth the investment as most seem to be pretty expensive and they just sit outside in the elements. Anyone have a top notch grill or have some recommendations? I'm not looking to spend money just for the sake of it, but if it is the last grill I buy it could definitely be worth the investment.

Thanks!

Labor day marks end of Summer  Season, Home Depot//Lowes have sale on all Grills ,would not hurt to going looking, I got a left over Display  Model little later in year saved about $100.00

I really liked the  Vermont Casting but they quit handling here, to me they seemed rugged in respect to many other

21 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

Can’t help you, never replaced the last one. Gotta be over five years now. 

How do you eat ??? I can't go a week without grilling or smoking something  !

If your going with stainless make sure it's all stainless , frame and all . My Weber  lower framing rotted away after 8 years . Parts are too expensive to warrant replacement , so I'm in the market too .

9 mins ago, PCstriper said:

How do you eat ??? I can't go a week without grilling or smoking something  !

I smoke and grill all the time. With the charcoal chimneys ( and a good cast iron)  there is no reason for gas. 

They all work great when new, but as Red said make sure it's a brand you can get replacement parts for. I have a Kenmore grill that is about 14 years old and I've had to replace flavor bars and burners every 4 or 5 years, but the grill still looks great. My Daughter and SIL gave me a bigger grill for Father's Day, even though my old one is fine, because they say I needed more cooking space. If you don't mind getting a new grill every few years for cheap money then why stop now ? Buy one of the expensive grills and when it comes time to do repairs, they are costly too. It a tough decision and I have beaten myself up over the same exact question numerous times with BBQ's and Smokers. Good luck on your hunt.

4 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

I smoke and grill all the time. With the charcoal chimneys ( and a good cast iron)  there is no reason for gas. 

Gotcha,  you sir are a Real Grill man. I ain't got no time fo that !

I'm not a big fan of gas grills , I prefer my Weber but we have a gas grill that my wife likes to use .

She will do her do diligence when she picking out one , The last one we had before moving south

was a Weber and it lasted about 9 years , I did replace the burners once but that's it.

If you know what model you want you can score big savings buying at the end of summer clearance sales . You may have to call around to see who has the one you want .

Nothing lasts forever sitting out in the elements so if you cover it and it gives you 5-6 years

your good ,

Yeah, the elements here can really beat stuff up. I don't want to drop $1,500.00 bucks on a grill just to see it rot in 5 or 6 years.  I currently have a 5 burner grill my wife bought me for Father's Day 3 years ago. I just replaced the burner shield thingys at a cost of about $80.00 bucks and feel I can get another year or maybe even two out of it. For a $159.00 grill that is a damn good life. I did paint the black surfaces this spring with heat proof spray paint...seemed to help.

My Weber gasser is like 25 years old, I've replaced the flavor bars and the regulator.

Get the right size, some of the really big grills take as long as charcoal to get hot enough to burn a steak.

:v: