Chazbo

Abu Garcia 6500 C3 Gears Skipping

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I’m experiencing the same problem on my second Abu Garcia 6500 C3 (first one was replaced under warranty). After a few months of successful fishing for large fish, the reel begins to skip gears when reeling in. The best word to describe this is “notchiness” when reeling in, it is not a smooth slip/skip. I can feel the small teeth skipping on the gears. It starts as a periodic skip but then continues to get worse to the point I have to stop fishing. Abu Garcia said no more warranty coverage so I am attempting to repair the reel on my own. I have replaced the main drive and pinion gears, pinion yoke, and installed new carbon-tex drag washers. Replacing these parts lessoned the skip but it still skips gears under pressure (like snagging a weed). Looking for advice on what other components should be replaced to solve this skipping problem.

Thanks

When you took your reel apart, was there a tiny "c" clip on top of the gear stem? I'm thinking that clip is not there causing the gear stem to shift on the gear stem shaft.

This tiny "c" clip or some call it an "e" clip sits under the handle nut. You would know it's there because ya can not get the handle off the gear stem without removing this clip. It holds the gear stem stack in place

16 hours ago, Chazbo said:

I’m experiencing the same problem on my second Abu Garcia 6500 C3 (first one was replaced under warranty). After a few months of successful fishing for large fish, the reel begins to skip gears when reeling in. The best word to describe this is “notchiness” when reeling in, it is not a smooth slip/skip. I can feel the small teeth skipping on the gears. It starts as a periodic skip but then continues to get worse to the point I have to stop fishing. Abu Garcia said no more warranty coverage so I am attempting to repair the reel on my own. I have replaced the main drive and pinion gears, pinion yoke, and installed new carbon-tex drag washers. Replacing these parts lessoned the skip but it still skips gears under pressure (like snagging a weed). Looking for advice on what other components should be replaced to solve this skipping problem.

Thanks

Maybe I am misinterpreting “skipping”,,but have you looked at the plastic parts,,? I think the idler gear is metal,,but the spool has plastic teeth,have you inspected that? Stripped maybe?

Jimmy Z  - The "C' clip is in place and I have become an expert in getting it on and off :-).

Cashews121 - The plastic gear on the spool is in good shape. 

I've read/viewed quite a few posts trying to figure out what components could be causing this problem. One of them mentioned a worn clutch arm. Mine appears to be OK, but I'm not sure if it has worn by thousands of an inch that I can't see. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the feedback.

Edited by Chazbo

14 hours ago, cashews121 said:

Maybe I am misinterpreting “skipping”,,but have you looked at the plastic parts,,? I think the idler gear is metal,,but the spool has plastic teeth,have you inspected that? Stripped maybe?

Those idlers are plastic too. That idler gear stripped would affect his worm for the L/W. I'm thinking his gear stem is shifting, causing the skip.

Edited by jimmy z

Jimmy Z  - The "C' clip is in place and I have become an expert in getting it on and off :-)

Cashews121 - The plastic gear on the spool is in good shape. 

I've read/viewed quite a few posts trying to figure out what components could be causing this problem. One of them mentioned a worn clutch arm. Mine appears to be OK, but I'm not sure if it has worn by thousands of an inch that I can't see. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the feedback.

Looks like my replies are being quarantined for being a newbe...says "my content needs to be approved by a moderator".

Jimmy Z - the sloppiest component to me is the pinion gear seated in the yoke and those are the first components I replaced. The new yoke and pinion gear seem to have the same sloppy fit. Some of the slop goes away after inserting the reel axle. The schematic that came with the reel only shows the yoke and pinion gear and the pinion gear is correctly seated in the yoke. Inside the spool control cap I turned the shim over giving the axle a new surface in case there was some wear. I even tried putting a shim on the opposite end of the axle thinking there was some sloppy axle movement. Nothing so far has fixed the issue.

What Jimmy has stated above seems like the issue.

Since you have replaced all of those parts listed, maybe a good cleaning of the worm gear, levelwind guide and pawl are in order too. Maybe one of these parts is damaged.

Update: After hours of trouble shooting it turns out that the springs on the "Position Holder" got weak from use and would not allow the pinion gear to mesh properly with the cogs on the brake/clutch washer on the side of the spool. I just rebent the springs downward so it would provide more force on the yoke and pinion gear. I put all of the original components back in the reel and the slipping/skipping has gone away. Thanks for all of the input, and I hope this helps others out that maybe having this same problem.