KSantangelo

Bucktails

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

What’s the consensus on colored bucktails, chartreuse and wine? I’ve only ever used white. Was wondering if you use the colored ones, and if so, what they’re best for and if you think one is better than the others. 

I like plain white most of the time.I do add green, chartreuse or black gulp or rubber to the white bucktail to slow the fall or vary color. Good luck with your fishing

Any color you like can catch fish, but white, chartreuse, black, wine & perhaps yellow are the basics for Striper fishing. As far as your question of "best" or "better", there could be good reasons to use a specific color, such as water clarity, or you're trying to match a forage color, but that's often a personal preference more than anything else. You may find that one person does great with a specific color, and another person uses a different color, that for that person is just as productive, so not really any best or better to it if it's only the matter of color. For bucktail jigs, sometimes the head shape can be more important than the color, because some shapes work better for specific conditions. These would be things like current strength & depth, or the type of bottom you might be fishing over, such as fishing over sand as opposed to fishing from a jetty over rocks. Other features of a jig can be more of a consideration as well, like such things as the weight and how heavily or sparse the jig is tied. These affect the sink rates and the profile. So, color alone is just one factor of many that makes a bucktail worth using. 

4 hours ago, KSantangelo said:

What’s the consensus on colored bucktails, chartreuse and wine? I’ve only ever used white. Was wondering if you use the colored ones, and if so, what they’re best for and if you think one is better than the others. 

I use olive\white\yellow,chartreuse\pink,blue\white,orange\pink and many other color combos.

they seem to work similar but,there have been times when one will work and the rest are ignored.

as it seems to always be,one has to go through the mix to find the right one unless they all are working.

HH

It really depends on the specifics of your application...and, in some cases, the area you are fishing. White is certainly the most versatile...personally, I like them tied with red thread over white or black...I like the contrast.  Black bucktails are excellent at night...black over a wine/burgundy is also excellent. There are a couple places along Long Island where a hideous dark neon green bucktail is great...but I've never found fish anywhere else that were even remotely interested in that one :squid:

TimS

I've tried some interesting colors, the most effective of which has been a blue head with chartreuse over blue. Honestly though, I always go back to white and then red and black sometimes. Simple does it.

I use white almost exclusively, except on new moon nights, when I’ll throw a wine color. Most of the time, it’s a white bucktail with changing rubber trailers between red, white, and chartreuse. 

I think white works well most of the time. I still use yellow often and really like it. I have used different shades of green on and off over the years with very good results from time to time but the green color family in general has gone cold on me more often than it was the go to color. I am not sure why. White and yellow have worked well for me for alot of decades consistently.