Stonesipher

Trump WARNS Congress not to intefere

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

So Trump is now warning Congress not to interfere in an international trade agreement. We do have 3 branches of govt. to provide a check and balance should one branch become too powerful. Question, is this going too far or is it ok for him to threaten them this way?

Trump says Canada not needed in NAFTA deal, warns Congress not to interfere

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump said on Saturday there was no need to keep Canada in the North American Free Trade Agreement and warned Congress not to meddle with the trade negotiations or he would terminate the trilateral trade pact altogether.

“There is no political necessity to keep Canada in the new NAFTA deal. If we don’t make a fair deal for the U.S. after decades of abuse, Canada will be out,” Trump said on Twitter.

“Congress should not interfere w/ these negotiations or I will simply terminate NAFTA entirely & we will be far better off,” he added.

Trump on Friday notified Congress of his intent to sign a bilateral deal with Mexico, after contentious talks with Canada ended on Friday without a deal to revamp NAFTA. Trump had unveiled a deal with Mexico on Monday.

Lawmakers on Friday warned that a deal with Mexico could struggle to win approval from Congress unless Canada was also included. Support from Democrats would be needed to pass a purely bilateral deal, they said.

FILE PHOTO - U.S. President Donald Trump delivers remarks before signing an executive order on strengthening retirement security in America at Harris Conference Center in Charlotte, NC, U.S., August 31, 2018. REUTERS/Yuri Gripas

Trump on Monday threatened to slap tariffs on Canadian-made cars if Canada did not join the talks to revamp NAFTA, which he has repeatedly criticized. Trump on Saturday, in his Twitter posts, reprised his attacks that NAFTA has resulted in a loss of U.S. jobs and business.

Reporting by Lesley Wroughton; Editing by Chizu Nomiyama and Leslie Adler

Sounds like Trump is trying to get good things done for the American worker, and doesn't want a bought and paid for Congress to muck things up.

If he would get to work on busting the medical monopolies up, and lowering prices there, even nasty negative Democrats would have a tough time pissing on that parade of winning.

Last time I checked, the constitution says only the executive has the power to make treaties. Congress ratifies on a simple yes or no. Nothing about Congress negotiating. 

But we all know what this is about because we all know how all the other so-called "free" trade agreements were packed with "free" pork and gibs and simple outright corruption. 

A simple free trade agreement between 2 parties does not need to weigh 75 lbs. When they do, they are observably un-free, anti-free and absolutely anti-American and pro-taxpayer-rape. I'm tired of being fleeced by corrupt politicians but I'm not tired of winning.

10 mins ago, Harf said:

Where's the threat?

IMO he just said it publiclly unlike others who do it behind closed doors and make deals to do so.

14 mins ago, Stonesipher said:

“Congress should not interfere w/ these negotiations or I will simply terminate NAFTA entirely

Sounds like a threat to me, guess you can't see it as such.

Edited by Stonesipher

7 mins ago, Stonesipher said:

So Trump is now warning Congress not to interfere in an international trade agreement. We do have 3 branches of govt. to provide a check and balance should one branch become too powerful. Question, is this going too far or is it ok for him to threaten them this way?

Trump says Canada not needed in NAFTA deal, warns Congress not to interfere

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump said on Saturday there was no need to keep Canada in the North American Free Trade Agreement and warned Congress not to meddle with the trade negotiations or he would terminate the trilateral trade pact altogether.

“There is no political necessity to keep Canada in the new NAFTA deal. If we don’t make a fair deal for the U.S. after decades of abuse, Canada will be out,” Trump said on Twitter.

“Congress should not interfere w/ these negotiations or I will simply terminate NAFTA entirely & we will be far better off,” he added.

Trump on Friday notified Congress of his intent to sign a bilateral deal with Mexico, after contentious talks with Canada ended on Friday without a deal to revamp NAFTA. Trump had unveiled a deal with Mexico on Monday.

Lawmakers on Friday warned that a deal with Mexico could struggle to win approval from Congress unless Canada was also included. Support from Democrats would be needed to pass a purely bilateral deal, they said.

Trump on Monday threatened to slap tariffs on Canadian-made cars if Canada did not join the talks to revamp NAFTA, which he has repeatedly criticized. Trump on Saturday, in his Twitter posts, reprised his attacks that NAFTA has resulted in a loss of U.S. jobs and business.

Reporting by Lesley Wroughton; Editing by Chizu Nomiyama and Leslie Adler

Sounds to me like President Trump is continuing to keep his promise to the American People to MAGA.

2 mins ago, Stonesipher said:

Sounds like a threat to me, guess you can't see it as such.

Sounds like you need to put on your Big Boy pants.  This is life and how things are done.  Like I said he did it Publicly instead of some behind the scenes crap

8 mins ago, Harf said:

Sounds like you need to put on your Big Boy pants.  This is life and how things are done.  Like I said he did it Publicly instead of some behind the scenes crap

I have my big boy pants on, I'm just not wearing a MAGA hat thet implies I will follow you anywhere. Question authority.

2 mins ago, Stonesipher said:

I have my big boy pants on, I'm just not wearing a MAGA hat thet implies I will follow you anywhere. Question authority.

When did you question anything Obama did?

8 mins ago, Stonesipher said:

MAGA has nothing to do with the FACT this is how things are done.  Like I said usually behind closed doors.  This is Trumps style like it or not but don't whine about it.  He's gotten more done (Things he's promised) than ANY president in the last 2 decades, DESPITE daily attacks from the Residence.  

9 mins ago, Harf said:

MAGA has nothing to do with the FACT this is how things are done.  Like I said usually behind closed doors.  This is Trumps style like it or not but don't whine about it.  He's gotten more done (Things he's promised) than ANY president in the last 2 decades, DESPITE daily attacks from the Residence.  

Trump lied about one thing that I can think of, right off the bat.

I am not tired of winning yet.

Trump promised so much winning, we would get tired of it.

As Hillary is fond of saying, right after a swig of hot sauce, "I ani't no ways tired."