Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cape

smoked mullet

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

On 9/4/2018 at 9:05 PM, roughneck3 said:

It's probably Whiting, or what we call Kingfish. Down south they call them Sea Mullet.

No it's Striped Mullet.. .. what you folks call the above mentioned we in NC call them SeaMullet

plenty of recipes on google if you look.

brine in salt brown sugar and water..remove from brine after eight hours and allow to dry and glaze over,  Smoke at 175° With wood chips of your choice until desired texture is reached

Down south mullet (not sea mullet, aka northern and southern kingfish aka whiting) is widely consumed not only smoked but also in other ways. I have only vague references to it, but I know it is viewed as less of a bait fish than people up north think of it as.

My guess is that to smoke them it would be pretty much as any other smaller fish such as "whiting" or trout or smaller snapper sized bluefish or even pickerel.

Gut and cut out the gills but leave the head on. Make up a dry brine of your choice with kosher salt, brown sugar to taste (I go light as I am not a sugar person), and whatever spices and herbs you might want. Rub on the dry brine and let sit overnight on a rack in the fridge.

Next morning, rinse off the dry brine, pat dry, and then back on the rack in front of a fan with the split side up for a few hours to form a pellicle. 

If you can, string them on a rod thru the head and place them hanging in you smoker (a bullet type smoker is good for this). If not, just smoke them on a rack in the smoker. 

Optimum temp, like most stuff is about 225-250 tops, maybe for 2.5 - 3 hours.

If they are very big, you could fillet them and smoke the fillets as you would bluefish fillets.

Steve ...

2 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

My guess is that to smoke them it would be pretty much as any other smaller fish such as "whiting" or trout or smaller snapper sized bluefish or even pickere

Quit Guessing! 

I just told the man how to do it.......

Our Mullet run is starting up now.... If you were a resident you'd know that. I will be smoking some in the next few weeks......

Furthermore the ones that have been in the ocean for a few days are better than the Sound. The Sound mullet have lots of mud in them.. The ocean mullet (previously Sound mullet) have been purged. They are firmer and taste better..

Roe mullet are a bonus..

175° smoker temp allows the smoke more to permiate the flesh and adds more Smoke flavor . You can either filet or butterfly the fish don't be sticking no damn sticks through them they ain't salmon. Again when you open the meat like that it allows more smoke to permiate the meat. Mulllet are a strong oily fish... Persoanally I discard the skin when the smoking process is complete .. the bones lift right out of you butterfly them and after the smoking process.

42 mins ago, DaBig2na said:

Quit Guessing! 

While I appreciate your experience which is broader than mine in this area, really, how much different is what I said from what you said, other than I expanded a bit?

I can appreciate the idea of the lower temp if you have a set up that can  achieve that, but the comment about hanging them I have to disagree with. The bellies stay open plenty to allow the flavor to penetrate, and you get a much more evenly cooked product with whole fish if they are hung vertically.

Just an educated opinion...............

Edited by Steve in Mass

1 hour ago, DaBig2na said:

Steve ...

Quit Guessing! 

Our Mullet run is starting up now.... If you were a resident you'd know that. I will be smoking some in the next few weeks......

Furthermore the ones that have been in the ocean for a few days are better than the Sound. The Sound mullet have lots of mud in them.. The ocean mullet (previously Sound mullet) have been purged. They are firmer and taste better..

Roe mullet are a bonus..

175° smoker temp allows the smoke more to permiate the flesh and adds more Smoke flavor . You can either filet or butterfly the fish don't be sticking no damn sticks through them they ain't salmon. Again when you open the meat like that it allows more smoke to permiate the meat. Mulllet are a strong oily fish... Persoanally I discard the skin when the smoking process is complete .. the bones lift right out of you butterfly them and after the smoking process.

Are these the mullet you seen skipping 2 feet in the air across inshore flats?   

1 hour ago, JimW said:

Yes , sometimes called "Jumpin' Mullet"

The ones you see in FL are more commonly Black Mullet... they have bug looking eyes...

Here in Gods Country NC , we have more Striped Mullet.... Pretty much the same fish eating wise.

Edited by DaBig2na

2 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

Just an educated opinion...........

So which is it a Guess or and Educated opinion?

your first comment in the beginning of the second paragraph began: " My Guess"

To the OP , your Weber may run too hot... I've never been able to get a Weber to run under 200°

you can probably run small baatches by scooting your coals to one side and put wet wood chips or chunks in them. 

Edited by DaBig2na

13 hours ago, DaBig2na said:

So which is it a Guess or and Educated opinion?

It is a guess as to how to make something I have never made before and my opinion on how to proceed draws on some education and experience with similar products. Is that really that difficult to understand or are you just being nit-picky?

On 9/7/2018 at 3:44 PM, JimW said:

yep. In the canal behind my house they jump all day and night

Edited by Cape