Envoromental Police

Rate this topic

Angler #1

14 mins ago, Dave588 said:

Not in mass. If there are any veterans, it would be state guard with a deployment waiver not real active duty veterans. I would like to see the actual statistics on that and nepotism.

i dont have a problem with a living salary but all law enforcement should have a 40 hour work week and ot details should be limited to a safe number of hours.

What? A veteran is a veteran. You must have 180 days of continuous active duty service, not including training, to be considered a veteran in MA. Look at the EPO eligible list right now on mass.gov. It is all disabled vets and vets at the top, followed by the rest of us. I did 6 years in the Army reserve, no deployments. I am not a veteran. My wife is a veteran. I scored well on the test. My wife did not. My wife is almost 300 people ahead of me on the list. If you want to save taxpayer money, giving pay cuts to EPO's is a great way to save all us about $.000000000001 in taxes.

(*member formerly known as ''duntonsdragons)

13 mins ago, Fish Monkey said:

What? A veteran is a veteran. You must have 180 days of continuous active duty service, not including training, to be considered a veteran in MA. Look at the EPO eligible list right now on mass.gov. It is all disabled vets and vets at the top, followed by the rest of us. I did 6 years in the Army reserve, no deployments. I am not a veteran. My wife is a veteran. I scored well on the test. My wife did not. My wife is almost 300 people ahead of me on the list. If you want to save taxpayer money, giving pay cuts to EPO's is a great way to save all us about $.000000000001 in taxes.

I am a veteran. My father and brothers were veterans. It should require more than 180 days to be considered a veteran. One of my brothers spent years in middle east training the 30 percent of guard that deployed, how to perform basic functions of the us army.

i work with multiple guard that refused to deploy and still get veteran status on hiring. 50 years ago, they would have been charged.

Correcting the administration of the epo would only make the epo more effective and increase fairness amongst the corps.

i would rather see epo's based more in field than westborough. I dont see any reason why staffing levels would present any need for more than a 14 hour day.

Edited by Dave588

15 mins ago, Dave588 said:

I am a veteran. My father and brothers were veterans. It should require more than 180 days to be considered a veteran. One of my brothers spent years in middle east training the 30 percent of guard that deployed, how to perform basic functions of the us army.

i work with multiple guard that refused to deploy and still get veteran status on hiring. 50 years ago, they would have been charged.

Correcting the administration of the epo would only make the epo more effective and increase fairness amongst the corps.

i would rather see epo's based more in field than westborough. I dont see any reason why staffing levels would present any need for more than a 14 hour day.

I would rather they be under the Division Of Marine Fishery , then we all would have more accountability.

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal

1 min ago, Angler #1 said:

I would rather they be under the Division Of Marine Fishery , then we all would have more accountability.

Thats true. I was thinking it would be better if regular police in most impacted areas got more officers and environmental bit was a paid additional duty.

but assembling the epo under marine fishery would probably work better.

54 mins ago, Dave588 said:

Thank you for your service. I agree that the issue is with the administration, not the Officers. I'm not one to bash police or military. It boggles my mind how someone who has never done the job, and therefore doesn't understand the job, can be in charge. Not just a problem with EPO's.

(*member formerly known as ''duntonsdragons)

4 hours ago, ged said:

I would never work for an organization that didn’t have accountability as a core part of it’s culture. 

Couldn't agree more with that. The problem is that holding people accountable is not 'politically correct' these days. Accountability has pretty much disappeared from all phases of American life let alone the work place.

Interesting thread with some good points on a topic I and others feel strongly about.  We have been working on possible legislative changes that will do the following.

1. Move the Office of Environmental Law Enforcement (OLE) out of the Secretary of Energy and Environment Office into the Department of Fish and Game under the supervision of the Commissioner of that Dept. along with Division of Marine Fisheries and the Division of Fisheries and Wildlife.   

2. Require that the Colonel in charge of OLE be qualified by training and environmental law enforcement experience- no more political hacks, whoops,  appointees.  The last two Directors under Patrick and Baker have been disasters.  

3.  Beef up the powers of the Boating Safety Advisory Board with regulatory authority and approval to appoint or remove the Commissioners nominee for the head of OLE.  This is similar to the powers of the Marine Fisheries Advisory Commission and the Fisheries and Wildlife Board but the latter doesn't involve the Commissioner, I believe. This will create a level of consistent professional supervision. 

4. Create a dedicated fund similar to the Fisheries and Wildlife Fund and Marine Fisheries Recreational Fisheries Fund and direct fines and penalties into that fund and well as revenues from ORV and boat registrations.

A study was done of OLE during the Romney Administration (2005) and the panel of peers and user groups recommended a number of changes and improvements including some of the above.  They didn't recommend the Secretariat to Department OLE transfer because they had just been taken out of the Dept. and put into the Secretariat to address homeland security and garner the huge influx of money and goodies flowing from the feds.   

80-100k is not rediculous if you are referring to Mass. I did a quick google and found 2016 data for Mass. median income of 75k. Considering that these guys are probably college grads and probably at the job for a while, it isn’t a crazy number at all. 

I also checked Maine and the data is a couple of years older. The number is 52k per year. Considering that Maine has a lot of toothless critters in that average it only makes the Mass. numbers seem more correct.

Edited by aae0130

“Shall not be infringed” was the “talk to the hand” of that period. (Me 2022)

I've had the same hard working epo walk out twice pretty far out on the flats in duxbury in the winter to check me while clamming so they aren't all slackers, had a good convo with him both times he seemed on the ball and conscientious, another buddy knows a few down here on the south shore and they are hard working, there are a few sides to every story as usual 

6 mins ago, Two Rock said:

I've had the same hard working epo walk out twice pretty far out on the flats in duxbury in the winter to check me while clamming so they aren't all slackers, had a good convo with him both times he seemed on the ball and conscientious, another buddy knows a few down here on the south shore and they are hard working, there are a few sides to every story as usual 

Really? I've never seen a state warden be so energetic.......Sure it wasn't the town shellfish warden?

Thankfully the split shift overtime at public pool for DCR is over. What a scam that was. Collect overtime right in the middle of your shift, then return to regularly duty. :laugh:  I remember the head of the EP's actually defended it.

I live on the water. I see EP's a handful of times over the years. As a matter of fact I see them more at traffic details in Cambridge and Red Sox Parades for the duck boats in the Charles River. I did see one EP at the town meeting for the Deer Island Pier. He looked like was going on a commando raid in Afghanistan.

Fact is they need our phone calls to bag people but call you two days later to respond to the call. I laugh and just hang up. Much easier minding our own business.

4 hours ago, aae0130 said:

80-100k is not rediculous if you are referring to Mass. I did a quick google and found 2016 data for Mass. median income of 75k. Considering that these guys are probably college grads and probably at the job for a while, it isn’t a crazy number at all. 

I also checked Maine and the data is a couple of years older. The number is 52k per year. Considering that Maine has a lot of toothless critters in that average it only makes the Mass. numbers seem more correct.

If they were federal employees, all of new england from maine, vt, nh, ri eastern ct, cape would all get same pay. 

$100k in westborough, they couldnt afford to live in westborough, $100k in boston would have you commuting from wareham. $100k in wareham would be doing pretty good.