Envoromental Police

Rate this topic

Angler #1

Todays CCT editorial has a very interesting article on what is going on in the department and why the lack of personal enforcing the laws. It seems that the Leadership is run by some one that has no environmental enforcement education as such . It is also noted that they are allowed to do split shifts , doing paid over time jobs in between. It is noted that almost half of the officers are now making overĀ  $100,000 a year out of 83 officers where the annual salary is $80,000. It points out that changes need to be made at the leadership positions at the top . It also tout this as a reason why we do not see as much law officers out in the field , If some could put this up every one can get a better idea and for me understand why we do not see the boots on the ground enforcement we need to have in order to protect the resources they enforce.

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal

FYI - Most CEOā€™s canā€™t complete the technical/mechanical/operational assignment their people can. The ā€œbossā€ is responsible for setting expectations and holding people accountable for their performance, for inspiring and engaging their employees.Ā 

Ā 

I would never work for an organization that didnā€™t have accountability as a core part ofĀ itā€™s culture.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I'm not surprised that the top leadership has noĀ environmental enforcement education. Ā It's notĀ just a state problem, just look at the current Fed administration & cabinet. Ā  AsĀ to the high salary, I've got no problems with that. Ā They earn it. Ā Imagine having to go into the woods to arrest a law breaking hunter who has a gun. Ā 

31 mins ago, Fish Monkey said:

I dont see the issue with the salary. People love to point out how LEO's make "too much". They earn it. A few bad apples in a department makes everybodyĀ think that cops dont do anything.

No offence but you think paying someone 100k a year to measure fish and write tickets is reasonable? I understand they are a needed for the protection of our fishery but how about paying them 50k and hire 2 for the price of one. I don't mean to disrespect but it annoys me when I'm fishing out on my kayak and I see an EPOĀ  on the shore sitting in his air conditioned truck for hours while collecting my hard earned money. I know that there are good apples amongst the bad but 100kĀ  is ridiculous!Ā 

5 mins ago, Timmytuna said:

No offence but you think paying someone 100k a year to measure fish and write tickets is reasonable? I understand they are a needed for the protection of our fishery but how about paying them 50k and hire 2 for the price of one. I don't mean to disrespect but it annoys me when I'm fishing out on my kayak and I see an EPOĀ  on the shore sitting in his air conditioned truck for hours while collecting my hard earned money. I know that there are good apples amongst the bad but 100kĀ  is ridiculous!Ā 

In fairness, this is just a tiny part of what they do.

Ā 

Important to us , but just a small part of their duties.

Edited by Plug and teaser

17 mins ago, Timmytuna said:

Just think how many EPO's we could have if we paid them minimum wage...

(*member formerly known as ''duntonsdragons)

2 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

ā€¦. If some could put this up every one can get a better idea and for me understand why we do not see the boots on the ground enforcement we need to have in order to protect the resources they enforce.

Ā 

Because it is not a priority with our Governor.Ā 

Ā 

The patron-laden office in charge of the MA environment and parks has nearly a dozen of Charlie Baker's loyalists.Ā 

Ā 

Perhaps Colonel McGinn, a retired SPĀ sergeant and lawyer, who served as Baker's personal campaign driver before Baker appointed him to run the agency in 2014,Ā can make a difference.Ā  However,Ā the recent problems at the Canal tell me otherwise.Ā 

1 hour ago, Fish Monkey said:

Bachelors in biology or related field. Most are veterans, as disabled vets and vets go to the top of the civil service list regardless of test score.

Not in mass. If thereĀ are any veterans, it wouldĀ be state guard with a deployment waiver not real active duty veterans. I would like to see the actual statistics on that and nepotism.

i dont have a problem with a living salary but all law enforcement should have a 40 hour work week and ot details should be limited to a safe number of hours.