Bug Chucker

G. Loomis breakage

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

You possibly might have pulled tip around into an impossible curve. Could be a defective blank who knows.

Rod has a decent  no fault warranty so it should end well,for you.

Mike

No. 

You can break a rod even to the point of shearing clean through a section usually the tip  if you hit it hard enough with a heavily weighted  fly like a Clouser. Catch it right and a std weight fly can do the same.

Or you can hit a rod but it does not fracture straight away but is compromised and then can easily  break some way down the road.

It is a mystery. We could  debate until the cows come home but good news is the rod has a very good warrenty.

Mostly Rods get hit by flies when there is a wind on same side as the casters casting arm and the Caster did not allow,for this and modify their casting style.

Sometimes it is caused by a blustery wind which takes us off guard and it always happens mid stroke. Sods Law.

Or it can be caused by very poor rod tracking which can lead to a rod fly collision.

You should get a new rod back in about a week. That has been the experience of a Brit friend of mine who manages to break his Loomis NRX Rods quite a lot.

His error. The service and system Loomis use  to get a new rod to you is just first class. I take my hat off to them.

Mike

I just used their expeditor  plan...rec'd my replacement rod in two days, and you don't have to send the other rod back until you've rec'd the new one, to which they supply the tube and prepaid shipping label (***note, you have up to 30 days to return the damaged rod, or they'll tag your credit card with the full retail cost of the replacement rod)

22 hours ago, Bug Chucker said:

Could this happen from stress when throwing big flies? Otherwise, this rod goes from the water to the tube. No chance of abuse. I'm dirt poor so I take good care of my gear!

that can happen but it looks different,all splintered up

it doesn't take much of a hit to damage a blank,a fly's hook ticking the blank on a cast can set off a fracture or break,

I blame the furled leader :stick:

Seriously, I had the same thing happen and I am pretty sure it was from hitting the classic GLX blank with a large tungsten head fly down in Argentina. Loomis honored the warranty after I returned home. 

I would LOVE to see the statistics for breakage from the different rod manufacturers.  Yes, I know that most of them DON'T manufacture their own blanks and most blanks come from a few plants in Asia.....but each made to the rod company's material and "action" specs.  My sense, though, is that there is a more wide range of fragility than we realize.

When Loomis graphite rods first appeared 40 years ago they were legendarily brittle and wholly unsuited for grunt work lifting type of fish fighting.  Corrections in material were eventually made.

15 years ago I got a top of the line rod from a prominent company as payment for the photograph they used for the cover of their catalogue. It was a 9', 4 piece 8 wt.......which I had then and now about 12 of since I use them for all of my steelheading, striper fishing, and Florida fishing. I had only rarely broken one and then only when I KNEW it was my fault....car doors, ceiling fans, etc. I broke that rod 6 times doing the most ridiculously trivial stuff...even simple casting....and went round and round with the company until they sent me the new, highest end replacement model.....which is my favorite, most used, and so far unbroken rod to this day.  It wasn't a single defective blank, or section of blank.  They kept insisting I send the whole rod back as they SAID they had to MAKE(again....later) a NEW replacement section.  BUT... the replacement sections all kept breaking.  The problem was design or chemistry.

My point is that rods are manufactured to different specs, rod companies are experimenting with different materials, manufacturing standards and material qualities may vary, etc., etc. And, for all their “testing”......which can't be that rigorous since most MUST come out with a “NEW” model, material, taper, “latest, best, nano improvement” to coax fishermen into replacing a perfectly good, hopefully unbroken last years model with their new creation......they really don't know how it will stand up to real-life abuse by the public. I KNOW that some lines, models, are more fragile than others.....sometimes ridiculously so.

My point is.....bad rod lines and batches still occur. I am sure the companies know when and which and quietly deal with it......and we don't. Ever heard of a RECALL on a rod line (which these days might cost $1000 apiece)?

Edited by Peter Patricelli

Peter

Like you I have often pondered on just how much R and  D can go into a new rod for the reasons you give above. I more than strongly suspect that many are actually R and D by the end customers.

I just love the BS claims that have been made by many companies in the near past of how it took some years to perfect their product etc etc. Funny how they then routinely broke some of them.

Would we develop aircraft in the same way. LOL

Apart from either design or manufacturing flaws rods see a great deal of abuse from Anglers. A great deal.

Mike