rst3

Herring Boats Set on Whale

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

Yeah, so the purse seiners came in hard on the herring schools.. just now spawning off the Isles of Shoals.. and then set directly around "Owl" the humpback. Whale was trapped for nearly an hour.

AR-180839843.jpg.ff79f90b7fbebe26db5bc74b3c87db50.jpg

5b8b6030583fd_EP-180839843(2).jpg.8aa9d6a16c8516e339c553324b96dc4d.jpg

EP-180839843.jpg.78ad76fef840d93a5ccbc11b8757e1bc.jpg

20180901_235159.jpg.b780523d161cc72bcfa9f2e40ebd99bd.jpg

For all intents, they only released the net(and their haul) after whale watch boat, tuna fishermen, and coast guard were going apoplectic for them to back down and let the damn catch and whale go. Obviously, the point of the set wasn't to grab the whale too. But they hesitated for nearly an hour over losing the haul, vs freeing the whale. Dirty fishing.

As a tuna fishermen, I can't count the Septembers where these boats rush in on the spawning herring and absolutely clean them out. Gone. Nothing says "smart" like harvesting your resource during reproduction! 

Edited by rst3

As we know, comm guys are the problem. They'll fish each species to extinction without regulations. 

You want to solve the canal problem? Ban comms from fishing the canal. Make the canal rec only. Or if you want to keep a canal fish you must have a paid tag attached to each keeper. 

@zak-striper

I don't think it's commercial fishing across-the-board sort of thing.

There's plenty of responsible boats and fishermen who realize their future paycheck depends on proper management to keep enough fish around for them later, and to keep enough fish around to marginally satisfy most interests.

Management has been inconsistent at best though, and deserves shaming for their many failures. As for comm fishermen: Cant totally fault a guy for wanting a bigger check now. That's how most animals work. But can fault mgmt for screwing up their job to reign in our natural impulses effectively and successfully

First off, this is kind of old news.....

I'm not a fan of the inshore herring boats either but I seriously doubt they tried to set on the whale. I also doubt they didn't want it out of the net as quickly as possible. The guy probably was just trying to make sure his gear didn't get destroyed. Easier said than done as a bystander.

I hope the "tuna guy" narrating this isn't the Steigercraft/Parker in the photo. Serious tuna guy, best case scenario, dragging a fish into port in the baking sun.

1 hour ago, rst3 said:

@zak-striper

I don't think it's commercial fishing across-the-board sort of thing.

There's plenty of responsible boats and fishermen who realize their future paycheck depends on proper management to keep enough fish around for them later, and to keep enough fish around to marginally satisfy most interests.

Management has been inconsistent at best though, and deserves shaming for their many failures. As for comm fishermen: Cant totally fault a guy for wanting a bigger check now. That's how most animals work. But can fault mgmt for screwing up their job to reign in our natural impulses effectively and successfully

Well, in this case, these dopes make them commie guys look bad. Supposedly there was 12 whales in that pod feeding, a whale watching boat with a lot of followers on it, AND the dirtbags just got into the same chit down in Mass last week. They have equipment to be able to see the whales, I hope they cut their nutz off....

@GooganFish

Couple thoughts :)

4 hours ago, GooganFish said:

First off, this is kind of old news.....

Well um, it happened Thursday.... so I mean not quite breaking news.. but then again, not exactly "March 5th, 1984"?

I'm not a fan of the inshore herring boats either but I seriously doubt they tried to set on the whale.

I think the issue here is the brazenness of fishing by these particular boats, and their method of harvest.

We all know the whales are right there on the bait....but Ive never seen the regular old trawl or pair-trawl herring boats that are out there all the time set their nets this irresponsibly. As much as I grumble about them! But purse seining is a different game, wrt unintended species.

I also doubt they didn't want it out of the net as quickly as possible. The guy probably was just trying to make sure his gear didn't get destroyed. Easier said than done as a bystander.

Fair point. Though my take is they obviously wanted the thing out of there, but without losing their net and most imp, the fish/money trapped within.

I hope the "tuna guy" narrating this isn't the Steigercraft/Parker in the photo. Serious tuna guy, best case scenario, dragging a fish into port in the baking sun.

lol

Hey come on...give it up for the back to port fish draggers. They need some love too

Separate thread topic material here for sure, but yes-- not exactly ideal to be unable to get a tuna onboard through a door or by hoist and then correctly process and ice it

###

I didn't link the news article because Tim's been on me about that, but here's a few clips 

Screenshot_20180902-045647_Chrome.jpg.0f02ea5d08c96f8a8e4c380953a2bf43.jpg

Screenshot_20180902-045834_Chrome.jpg.84c76d9ba16093c0e4b9ae4478ef217c.jpg

Edited by rst3

8 hours ago, zak-striper said:

As we know, comm guys are the problem. They'll fish each species to extinction without regulations. 

You want to solve the canal problem? Ban comms from fishing the canal. Make the canal rec only. Or if you want to keep a canal fish you must have a paid tag attached to each keeper. 

You think the foreigners will stop the poaching if comm fishing is banned?  No enforcement on them is the real problem.

Foreigners? Can you define that? My grandfather was a foreigner when he came here from Norway. I don't recall ever seeing him poach anything. Most of the guys I see cheating for profit are local born and bred. 

16 mins ago, beerdoh said:

Foreigners? Can you define that? My grandfather was a foreigner when he came here from Norway. I don't recall ever seeing him poach anything. Most of the guys I see cheating for profit are local born and bred. 

The non-English speakers. A lot of them know the EPOs will not bother to fine or cite them, and take full advantage of it.

24 mins ago, 27conch said:

Tony O is referring to the Mexican/Hispanic, non English speaking fishermen community I believe.  AKA the white bucket crew.  Every fish goes in the bucket..

It's great to be acknowledged! :laugh:

You guys have any idea how much a large purse seine costs? To set on a large whale on purpose could be a very costly mistake. A large whale could do serious damage to the net and the owner(s) would be handing the boat capt. his pink slip. Plus a very expensive boat and crew would be tied up too the dock for days while the net was repaired/replaced. 

Seems like all we have heard in this thread is the greenpeace version of events...........:thumbd:

What seems to be in question is.....this is the second time this boat has made the news......Is their equipment working properly?  I'm sure they should have top of the line fish finders?

It could have been much worse and the captain and crew could have been injured or thrown overboard if that whale started thrashing and became entangled!