jimbighead

It’s tough out there

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

A new fishing “incident” for me today

decent action, small fish, and what looked like some peanuts (which was so cool to see)

yes a lot of dead pogies on the beach in ocean park (likely purse seiner release)

but the the incident was...

Fishing sandworms in the wash with fishfinder rig, 2 oz pyramid linked on a slider, first light 

while bringing in a small active fish 22” estimate I got him/her in close, set the rod in the sand spike,  grabbed the leader and was steadying the fish to remove a perfect jaw corner hook in like 3”s water. The damn thing did a quick violent shake ninja move on me and sent my 2oz pyramid right into my forehead Mach Schnell leaving a nice gash 

bleeding nicely onto the fish as I removed the hook and let him/her go

a first for me...

and still a headache, imagining if it were two inches lower in my eye it could have been really bad

saltwater slowed the bleeding and a few more polite fish followed this catch

It’s amazing what can happen to us just enjoying the day OTW

sending out some Hill Street Blues Mojo

be careful out there people 

Jim 

Just when you think you have all the safety concerns and near misses covered you are hit in they fore head with a new one..Oh well as the commercial says,"Should of had a V 8 

Edited by Livliner

1 hour ago, Roccus7 said:

More than once I've had to duck "INCOMING" when bass tail whack my poppers back at me....

Its usaly the outher guy guy in the boat that dose that to me.... not naming anyone..

Really I could not believe it

and laughed a bunch at my bloody mess of a beach fishing self

the precision of the the head shake, just enough leader , rod tip just high enough 

thwapppp 

Worst case I’ve seen fishing was on boat with rookie throwing top water plug into school of bluefish.  Only he hooked my buddy in lower lip behind him. One treble hook went straight through lower lip. That trip ended a hurry.   

I once had a ballyhoo pin rig which has a small egg sinker, a big hook, and a wire pin sticking at a 90 degree angle from the line pop off of a yellowfin as I was leadering it and we were close to gaffing it, it came up and the sinker hit me right between the eyes and left a mark lol, I was dazed but if could been a lot worse if the hook or pin got me too!