luckyOC

Delmarva Fishin' Reports - September 2018

64 posts in this topic

As always, this is the place for your reports... as little or as much detail as you care to share, with hopefully a good bit less focus posted on exact spots, times, and locations. Any and all word from the local waters welcome here, and "no fish" reports are welcome as well; always good to have gotten out there at least, wasn't it? 

;)

Here to hopefully the start of a good fall!

Out this eve and it seems the baby black drum have invaded the beach. 3 croaker a few kings and little black drum up to 15 " every cast.

Sat - Sun morning AI - Not bad actually, a mix of everything but mostly all small.. kingfish, spot, pompano, black drum, bluefish and couple sharks on the heavers.  E / SE winds kept it nice. One off / one on when we left at 9 am

Posted (edited)

dixiekraut now is the season.  it will peak later but CG and I have caught drum starting from the beginning of Sept in the past.  

Edited by Steve Coleman

Got out this morning 5:30-9:00 and landed two really small kingfish, a small doggie and a small sheepshead.  All caught on squid.  The crabs enjoyed my bunker.  Saw a 20"-24" striper caught nearby so that was encouraging.  All morning there were minnow of some kind out front but not a lot chasing them.  Could be my last trip until I bust away in Oct/Nov.. Sad day!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Saturday we filled the cooler with spot and whiting, all set for the drum run.  One small pompano too.  Didn’t get any of those black drum.  Not sure what they would have been biting, we used fishbites exclusively.  Sunday was about relaxing in the water and on the beach.  Fantastic weather.

22 hours ago, mrscott24 said:

Got out this morning 5:30-9:00 and landed two really small kingfish, a small doggie and a small sheepshead.  All caught on squid.  The crabs enjoyed my bunker.  Saw a 20"-24" striper caught nearby so that was encouraging.  All morning there were minnow of some kind out front but not a lot chasing them.  Could be my last trip until I bust away in Oct/Nov.. Sad day!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

that is a Black Drum, not a Sheepshead

Fished an inlet in Delaware 09/04.  Caught 3 blues 12"-20". Missed quite a few more. Incoming tide.  Tons of bait in the water.  Shimano WaxWing caught them.  No bites on metal spoon.  Shakespeare reel and Cabelas pole.

12 hours ago, 2naFisherman said:

Fished an inlet in Delaware 09/04.  Caught 3 blues 12"-20". Missed quite a few more. Incoming tide.  Tons of bait in the water.  Shimano WaxWing caught them.  No bites on metal spoon.  Shakespeare reel and Cabelas pole.

Thinking about getting some waxwings ... they look good!  What color and size were you using?  I assume it was the saltwater series?

The waxwings do look good in the water. I used the sardine and the bunker colors. 88mm size.  Easy to use and easy on the shoulder.

This past weekend on Assategue was the best of the year so far for us.

Bucket full of kingfish....  We fed a small army around the campers.  Fish tacos for everyone...

Lots of spot which we recycled for bait to catch more kings.

We managed to get 3 nice blues that gave quite a fight.

1 black drum Friday afternoon late.

Nice flounder Sunday caught reeling in spot filets..

Then had a nice fight with a mad Croaker that didn't know where he was on very light tackle.

Throw in a few pompano and it was a very eventful weekend.

Thanks for the correction roughneck3.  I was not sure and the guy on the beach was pretty sure.  It was a pretty fish which was why I slapped on the picture.  Glad I did.

1 hour ago, rhumphress said:

This past weekend on Assategue was the best of the year so far for us.

Bucket full of kingfish....  We fed a small army around the campers.  Fish tacos for everyone...

Lots of spot which we recycled for bait to catch more kings.

We managed to get 3 nice blues that gave quite a fight.

1 black drum Friday afternoon late.

Nice flounder Sunday caught reeling in spot filets..

Then had a nice fight with a mad Croaker that didn't know where he was on very light tackle.

Throw in a few pompano and it was a very eventful weekend.

Good for you rhumphress.  Thanks for sharing!

AI OSV

Saturday-  I couldn't hold bottom, current was ripping my baits in to shore.

Sunday -  Caught (2) 48" Spinner Sharks and a couple flounder, my bunker was getting robbed left and right

Monday-   Sick of the heat, went home to the AC