Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gus

Hobie Outback rudder steering arm very very stiff

9 posts in this topic

The steering arm on my 2011 Hobie Outback is very very stiff. I disconnected the steering lines to the rudder to see if it was a rudder or rudder line issue but the steering arm was still very stiff. I took the knob off and tried lubricating where a metal pin that goes thru the hull connects to the the steering arm but still stiff. Has anyone had this issue and resolved it????

The pin that the rudder travels on to turn. Take the rudder out and I used a dremal with a small sanding drum to polish the interior of the opening where the pin goes in. Use a sanding drum that is fine grit not something very aggressive. You don’t have to go crazy just polish it. You’ll see how it looks tarnished now, and bright once you’re done. Use a light grease and whip off the excess. Just leave a thin film. Put it all back together and you should be significantly better. 

43 mins ago, saltfisherman said:

The pin that the rudder travels on to turn. Take the rudder out and I used a dremal with a small sanding drum to polish the interior of the opening where the pin goes in. Use a sanding drum that is fine grit not something very aggressive. You don’t have to go crazy just polish it. You’ll see how it looks tarnished now, and bright once you’re done. Use a light grease and whip off the excess. Just leave a thin film. Put it all back together and you should be significantly better. 

I will give this a try

Jeff, my wife was complaining about the outback and it’s turning. You’d swear that you were going to break the turning handle each time you’d go to turn. I did everything I could imagine. 

Loosen lines

remove handle

check pulleys 

I went over everything.

the rudder would move fine just by using your hand but the moment you went to  

steering handle it was hard. 

Taking the rudder out of its holder and cleaning the pin and hole is all it took. Became smooth and easy to the touch. 

Gus, do you mean the steering arm itself - the hand control? 

If so, check out this thread for ideas:

Edited by Africaster

On 9/1/2018 at 7:47 PM, Gus said:

I will give this a try

On 9/1/2018 at 7:03 PM, saltfisherman said:

Did as you suggested, except for the sanding,  and all is running smooth now.  Thanks all for your help.   Brad:  I used your suggestion to compress the spring.  Thanks. Great idea...