Marty

Quigley 4x4

29 posts in this topic

If you can score a nice clean E-series van you can check out u-joint offroad for 4x4 conversion.  They do some really nice work.  Also if you like the Chevys look for a factory All Wheel Drive one.  I currently have one for my beach rig and it does great on the sand better then any 4x4 trucks I have owned.

11 hours ago, lisurfer49 said:

Not sure if it was built by quigley but had to get a photo of this NYPD 4x4 van the other night. Perfect surfcasting rig4DCC4E2B-4AF1-4454-B9C5-907EAAFE59BF.jpeg.6e5ef39f07dcc39083d2609e8ea19370.jpeg 

I been to that police station long time ago. Is That lower Manhattan? I sold plugs to a cop there 

15 hours ago, reelfire said:

My dream would be a Quigley Ford with the 7.3 L diesel. That would be a million mile truck if you could protect it from rust.

Diesel, never own one but your right. Tons of miles at 0 $$$. 

10 mins ago, Marty said:

Diesel, never own one but your right. Tons of miles at 0 $$$. 

The Ford 7.3L diesel is an excellent motor. But in response to your "tons of miles at 0$$$", you're mistaken there. Diesel motors require a lot of maintenance if you're running tons of miles. Filter changes are extremely important. Diesel fuel costs more than gasoline, and just a lot of the typical regular maintenance items. But yes, they will run many miles with lots of torque. Good for long haul traveling. 

16 mins ago, bospa357 said:

The Ford 7.3L diesel is an excellent motor. But in response to your "tons of miles at 0$$$", you're mistaken there. Diesel motors require a lot of maintenance if you're running tons of miles. Filter changes are extremely important. Diesel fuel costs more than gasoline, and just a lot of the typical regular maintenance items. But yes, they will run many miles with lots of torque. Good for long haul traveling. 

That’s all that’s needed with diesel is maintenance. No internal parts. 

16 mins ago, Marty said:

That’s all that’s needed with diesel is maintenance. No internal parts. 

Well, all I can say is; not all diesels are created equal. So that's not entirely true either. I'm not trying to rain on your parade. Just saying, do your research on diesel motors before making any mistakes. 

3 hours ago, Marty said:

I been to that police station long time ago. Is That lower Manhattan? I sold plugs to a cop there 

It’s in park slope. 

AFAIK you order your Ford, GM, etc. as a new vehicle and then have it go straight to Quigley for a conversion. If buying that way, as opposed to buying a used one (as Marty's discussing), you would want whatever machine is most corrosion resistant. 

Flexing the frame with sustained off-road driving would be best done with a traditional truck body. Isn't the Transit van a unibody design? 

45 mins ago, BrianBM said:

AFAIK you order your Ford, GM, etc. as a new vehicle and then have it go straight to Quigley for a conversion. If buying that way, as opposed to buying a used one (as Marty's discussing), you would want whatever machine is most corrosion resistant. 

Flexing the frame with sustained off-road driving would be best done with a traditional truck body. Isn't the Transit van a unibody design? 

That’s something to look into.  I would go right to Quigley and talk to them and learn more about them.

Yes.  Go to Quigley and ask what's most suitable for off-road use around salt water, and go from there.  I'd also want to see photos of cabin arrangements designed for salt water. 

Those nypd fans have the big security watch towers that pops up out of The roof it's cool but pretty funny looking. I'm almost positive the are quigley. 

I like the ujoint off-road option better myself. Bu y whatever van you want, short, long, cargo, conversion, rv, whatever, and convert it. 

Regarding the 7.3L diesel, I've had one in a F-350 for 19 years, 160K miles, replaced a water pump, new glow plugs once and fuel filter a couple of times. Other than that oil changes 4 gallon and filter.  Had oil changed every 3k first 10 years now once a year, only drive it a couple K a year.  Yes diesel is more expensive, but is offset by the extra mpg, I get 17 city and 20 highway.   Rust is getting it and I'm looking for something with a blown motor to swap.  It has been a good motor for me.   Just my experience.