MitchellNJ

Any tree people?

Rate this topic

66 posts in this topic

Do we have a resident tree expert/arborist? Or even someone with rudimentary knowledge?

I have a large oak tree in the backyard that I would like to have remain right where it is. I really like the tree and would rather not cut it down. Everything has been fine over the past 15yrs but this year something new has started. Not sure if it's the heat or something worse. It's been losing leaves very early this year. They're not changing colors properly so it appears there is another issue. Any way to help this thing get back to being healthy or is it a lost cause?

Here's a pic of the tree and the leaves on the ground. The ground is covered with them again for, at least, the second week.

20180901_104022.jpg.ba3728cd374762f2a22fa1c724b824fa.jpg

20180901_103952.jpg.2e2ab1ec3d6afb766218deb42ab268b6.jpg

22 mins ago, fishing pete said:

Is it a Pin Oak that was pruned heavily? It looks really stressed out. Fertilize it and hope it pushed through next year.

It was pruned a year after we moved in. Any particular fertilizer? I've got a bottle of that fish fertilizer stuff.

2 mins ago, makomakoman said:

I would not fertilize in the fall.  Looks like Oak Wilt.  Fungus.  Contact an arborist to treat. 

Why not fert in the fall? Thats what they say to do.

Mitchel hold off on it. Lets see what comes up here.

3 mins ago, makomakoman said:

I would not fertilize in the fall.  Looks like Oak Wilt.  Fungus.  Contact an arborist to treat. 

Yeah that's my concern. Everything I read about wilt, it's fatal. Cut the tree down. $$$

3 mins ago, fishing pete said:

Why not fert in the fall? Thats what they say to do.

Mitchel hold off on it. Lets see what comes up here.

I've always been told to fertilize in the spring.. :why: 

Just now, makomakoman said:

I've always been told to fertilize in the spring.. :why: 

We allways did it in the fall. With holly tone. Pound a diggin bar down 2 feet or so fill the hole with Espoma.

Looks like it could be BLS (bacterial leaf scorch).  

Your local extension lab would be able to give you a proper diagnosis.  This is a good time of year to test for it as the bacteria counts will be high.

Best time to fertilize trees is late fall (dormancy) or early to mid spring.  Fertilizing now may cause a growth spurt with not enough time for the new growth to hardenoff/toughen up before winter resulting in twig dieback.