cobblestone

September fishing report

Rate this topic

57 posts in this topic

This morning went to get some coffee down the road from where I live. Soon apon return I seen about 50+ birds working the water so I shot over to the closet spot I could park and ran to the birds I seen working the water. What a wicked morning landed about 10 schoolies all in about the 21” 24” range willing to hit top water aggressively. Up until today I couldn’t buy a bite for a couple weeks and very little signs of fish but plenty of bait. Hopefully things turn on in my area a good fall bite would really wrap this season up with a smile.

On 9/1/2018 at 8:27 AM, cobblestone said:

Up until today I couldn’t buy a bite for a couple weeks and very little signs of fish but plenty of bait

Thanks for the report. Congrats on getting on some fish. Things have been slow in my area fishing ledges and surf. Picked up 4 in one outing last week, 25" & <, that was the exception. Have been out 4-6 times since, nothing.  I was going to stay away this weekend but now I have a glimmer of hope to motivate me.

Went out again, make that 7 times, after cobblestone motivated me. Threw the whole hardware store out there including the new plastics division. Nothing again. Time to bring out the bucket brigade and fish surf & turf.

Edited by Livliner
sp

What’s the small slim bait fish that shows in the shallows this time of year? If you shine your light on the water they come flying out left and right.  Silver sides? Anyway, they showed up two nights ago. A sure sign of fall for me. Same time every year

1 hour ago, Bmackerel said:

What’s the small slim bait fish that shows in the shallows this time of year? If you shine your light on the water they come flying out left and right.  Silver sides? Anyway, they showed up two nights ago. A sure sign of fall for me. Same time every year

Been seeing those for quite some time now, at least 3 weeks if not more, also see them throughout the season at times.

On 9/1/2018 at 6:21 PM, Bmackerel said:

Do they call it rain bait like down in mass, I don’t know what the real name would be. 

I made it out Sunday and Monday, had a buddy up from Vt that really wanted to catch and didn’t really matter what. Saturday we found large schools of macks hanging out in front of the beach live lined them along the rocks got us on the board with a dozen smalls, Monday was the same for finding macks but headed up the coast a bit farther first hook up was something else... made a run away from the boat parallel with the rocky shore, I see the fish roll 30 yards from the boat before it turned for deeper water still taking drag I reach for the I pilot control to chase this thing down, the line went limp.... I start realing it in thinking my leader broke my knot came apart.... I get it in to find my circle hook broke I still can’t believe it really. After the sick feeling you get when you just in all certainty lost you next PB finally passed we moved around a bit found a few more my buddy from Vt was the first to hook up with a solid 34” I was lucky enough to hook up with a fisty 23”. Next he’s back out and hooked up and I can tell it’s another nice fish and it was a fat 33”.  After that we each got 5-6 more under 30” (mine seamed to be more under than his) but it was good fun. 

Edited by Tlacey21walden
Because I can (add pics

Nice job getting that flatlander on fish :)

I've seen sand eels, mackerel, pogies & peanuts lately. As the saying goes: the table is set. Small fish are active but I haven't found bigger fish goin nuts just yet. Next few weeks and things should really heat up fishing wise.

4 hours ago, Tlacey21walden said:

DCBAE727-6778-4901-86F3-E604B1318B8A.jpeg.e06c8bc3807db842dd87a91700059b33.jpegA0A539E6-C57F-45A0-9220-8A424BE56D2A.jpeg.70a41ed0cab210f5995546dc6af6186a.jpeg4FBAB2CD-05BA-4593-8688-6686AD8AC447.jpeg.a2ecb7fdf6340b9a2881a64b383022f7.jpeg4631CC77-4C48-4823-9EF1-0B4E47DBE828.jpeg.9ebf30c0610233eb467a5a48eccd6d9e.jpeg

That sucks! Looks like you still got on some good fish though. August was pretty good to me right up till the full moon. A lot of teen sized fish, biggest at 20lb. Those fish have left.  Headed south I’d guess. Like sea of atlas said the table is definitely set. Hope the next school moves in soon