Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sunobskt

my new macro lens

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Got the new Sony 150-400 thinking telephoto but...it can do this. 4-5 ft away, aperture priority, autofocus using a monopod which is about 10' too short. Was goofing off seeing how it would do in the light I had available. Set up for shot took about 2 seconds. Focus is instantaneous f5.6. Just had to share. On a6000. this is a basil bud, focused on last 1.5" or so.

DSC08202.jpg

Looks good....... with lots of pixels to play with any lens can me used for macros in a pinch. The thing is you will see a difference between true macro lenses and the others as they are designed to bring out micro detail and the smoothness of the bokeh will be different. The Voightlander 85 f2 is claimed to be the best of the macros made for the e mount Sony's. I used to do a lot of macro work and used a 180 tammy or the 90 sony with good results when matched with auto extension tubes as well.

Watch out... macro is addicting

this is the 35mm with extension tube, about an inch from subject. wish i could figure how to get more of scene in focus. always seem to run out of light turning up f stop or what ever little beast i am trying to capture takes off.

DSC04315.jpg

Stacking is what most of us use to increase depth of field .... this involves multiple shots moving the camer or object a mil or two at a time and then using a software to stack or combine all the images together into one all in focus image.

I have used as many as 70 shots to do one product macro for a ad..... it is tedious and time consuming but with a good stacking specific software the results are outstanding. I put the camera on a micro adjustable mounting plate on a tripod and set the focus either near front or rear and move the camera a mil or two either back or forward from the initial focus point to cover the whole subject being shot. Think of it as slicing the subject much like a mri does to create its image 

I have stitched and stacked a image with over 250 images to create the size and quality image a company wanted to create(I gave them the file they had it created)...... it's tedious and you are best served with some specialty items like a Model Ninja and a micro adjust mounting plate then some specific commercial quality softwares like Autopan Giga and Helicon Focus but it will create outstanding images no other hardware or softwares can compete with. Imagine the number of pixels and the micro detail these create in a macro shot with 100 images or a scenic chopped into 20 pieces and each piece has 10 images shot at 3 different focus points and a dynamic range as wide as you can imagine. Makes buying a $100k digital Hassie look under gunned in IQ image to image unless they do the same stacking and stitching with their shots.

Seems to me that a good bit of stacking could be done in the camera itself. Obviously not like what you are talking about but seems they could program the camera to take 4 or more pics at different focus points of an object, do the computer crunching and give you an image. Or maybe some cameras already do.

btw do you have an online site of your portfolio, would love to peruse it.

It would be something I am sure a camera could be programmed to do.

i am no longer shooting professionally and my commercial assignments were the result of word of mouth after a few commercial jobs for a real estate developer. I avoid putting anything that could be a revenue producer anywhere near the web as I had personal work taken from the web and used in the Far East without permission and there was nothing I could do about it either. That did it for me and the net now anything I load on the net I feel I have essentially given away to whoever.

check the archives for stacking and stitching on this forum and you will see some samples of these techniques I did for the forum

Edited by Jim DE