Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
VicIII

penn 714z spool/drag lifting up, bounces

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I have a Penn 714z that when the "drag" is used or line comes off the spool lifts and rotates.  Drag is not engaged really.  The whole spool lifts a bit and rotates.  Love this reel and trying to get it back to duty.  I have not used this reel in a decade and can not figure out what is happening.  I have looked at the schematics and have all the parts with the spool and such.  I can figure out what causes it. 

6 hours ago, VicIII said:

I have a Penn 714z that when the "drag" is used or line comes off the spool lifts and rotates.  Drag is not engaged really.  The whole spool lifts a bit and rotates.  Love this reel and trying to get it back to duty.  I have not used this reel in a decade and can not figure out what is happening.  I have looked at the schematics and have all the parts with the spool and such.  I can figure out what causes it. 

Can you post a couple pictures? Is the spool seating all the way down?

Seems to be set all the way down.  The video does not show as much as I can tell the spool raises up slightly then comes back down as line goes out.  If I hold the center pin down drag works fine but nothing hold it down.  Thinking an internal issue. 

20180901_145908.mp4

seems to be connected.  The spool sleave seems to be spinning.  Not sure if that should or not but with my fingers I can spin it easily when the spool is off.  It seems to ride up a few millimeters and then rotates which is what it does when spool is on it.

I just checked mine, mine also spins, but depends on how tight the drag is set..One way should be louder with the clicker, Turn tp the left...Pull the spool off, look to see if there is a small pin going through the spool shaft, in engages with the spool.

Check the "fingers" that are on the end of the shaft where the spool attaches to the reel. Are they holding the spool on and keeping the spool from moving back and forth on the spool shaft?

the spool spins regardless of how tight the spool is and same resistance.  Not sure about the small pin.  Looks like there is a hole for the pin near the teeth of the gear inside of spool housing.

Do not see the pin but not sure if I could if it goes down into the shaft without sticking out.

Looking at the diagram are you referring to the spool shaft assembly?

"Fingers"..  sorry not sure what you mean.  Looking at the diagram are you referring to the spool shaft assembly?

Thank you for your time.  I hope I can get this reel back in order.

He is talking about the fingers on the end of the spool shaft.  Yes, there is a pin that goes through the spool shaft, your spool will seat on that pin, I will send a couple pics.

Here are a couple pictures, you can see the fingers on the end of the spool shaft, those are what lock the spool shaft on the spool until you press the knob to pull it off.  You can see the pin through the spool shaft, and you can see where the pin sits in the piece the goes through the spool shaft. Hope that helps, if you are missing either piece, you will have issues.  Let us know what you have found..

20180902_195711.jpg

20180902_195720.jpg

20180902_195728.jpg

20180902_195742.jpg

20180902_195759.jpg

Thank you so much!  Not sure why but my spool was off just by taking off the knob.  I pressed the silver button and got the "spool"  shaft thing with gears to come off.  That was new.  Put it back on together with the spool (like in your last pic) and then it started working.

Thank you so much!  I did not know it was taken apart somewhat and that is what was the issue.  Feel stupid but very happy I got it back in the rotation!

19 hours ago, VicIII said:

Thank you so much!  Not sure why but my spool was off just by taking off the knob.  I pressed the silver button and got the "spool"  shaft thing with gears to come off.  That was new.  Put it back on together with the spool (like in your last pic) and then it started working.

Thank you so much!  I did not know it was taken apart somewhat and that is what was the issue.  Feel stupid but very happy I got it back in the rotation!

Cool, glad to help, if you ever need anything again, just ask or pm me, I have a few reels, I work on them as well...