jjdbike

What are these? 1 tool & mystery tape

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I've been cleaning & organizing my basement. Saying I'm not very handy is a crazy overstatement.

I found these two items & don't know what they're for. Wondring if I need to keep them or toss them. Obviously I or someone working in or around my house needed them at one point but have no idea when or for what.

Do anyone here know that that tool is & what the tape is used for?

Thanks!

IMG_3179.JPG

IMG_3178.JPG

IMG_3177.JPG

first pic looks like splicing tape for electrical connections. it stretches and sticks to itself, wrapped over larger splices when using burndies and then covered with regulat electrical tape.

second looks like a screwdriver with replaceable tips and the tips are missing.

Any tips in the tools handle? It appears to have a collect type chuck to hold multiple tips.

Edited by cheech

The tape is a rubber tape. The blue backing pulls away and you stretch the tape as you wrap. Once it’s set from the heat of day it becomes one mass. 

If you were to use it and want to remove it at a future day you’d initial wrap first with friction tape and then the rubber, covering the whole with plastic tape. You’d still have to cut the whole mass open but the underlying item would be free of the rubber tape to use again. 

Used to cover exterior splices do electrical wiring for protection from the weather. 

52 mins ago, saltfisherman said:

The tape is a rubber tape. The blue backing pulls away and you stretch the tape as you wrap. Once it’s set from the heat of day it becomes one mass. 

If you were to use it and want to remove it at a future day you’d initial wrap first with friction tape and then the rubber, covering the whole with plastic tape. You’d still have to cut the whole mass open but the underlying item would be free of the rubber tape to use again. 

Used to cover exterior splices do electrical wiring for protection from the weather. 

x2

The other is a for multiple tips. sm screwdrivers  sometimes use on eyeglasses and other sm. items.  picks?  and so on.

My dad used to keep some of them screw driver looking things with the collet front end. It is called a Pin Vise you can use little drill its in it too. Mostly for models and craft stuff but I think jewelers use the too.