Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HighEndHooker

Worth it?

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I am coming to visit family (Fort Myers) in a few weeks, is it worth even bringing my rod on the plane? I try to get in early morning/night sessions while the rest of the family is asleep, and I usually fish around lovers key up to blind pass. The pictures I’ve seen are devastating, I don’t even know how the water would be able to hold any life. 

High, the area I’ve been hearing that doesn’t have the red tide respiratory problems is Matlacha. Now, no one is fishing off the bridge there. You can rent a kayak at Gulf Coast kayak. 

Id still bring a rod and if nothing else hit some fresh water ponds. 

Do a search for Lakes Park on Gladiolus, Ft Myers. It’s right off  41. This lake has bass and snook. The snook like rattle traps the best. This is the est lure for them. Sorry I don’t know color pattern wise for them. You might find something on goggle search, Lakes Park snook rattle trap.  I believe You can rent kayaks from there. This lake also to make you aware has alligators. Not just small ones either. I was there a year ago and the further back you go the bigger they get. 

1 hour ago, saltfisherman said:

High, the area I’ve been hearing that doesn’t have the red tide respiratory problems is Matlacha. Now, no one is fishing off the bridge there. You can rent a kayak at Gulf Coast kayak. 

Id still bring a rod and if nothing else hit some fresh water ponds. 

Do a search for Lakes Park on Gladiolus, Ft Myers. It’s right off  41. This lake has bass and snook. The snook like rattle traps the best. This is the est lure for them. Sorry I don’t know color pattern wise for them. You might find something on goggle search, Lakes Park snook rattle trap.  I believe You can rent kayaks from there. This lake also to make you aware has alligators. Not just small ones either. I was there a year ago and the further back you go the bigger they get. 

Thanks yeah I’ve fished lakes park once or twice but only ever caught dinky LMB there, I can tell it has to hold some good ones. Didn’t know snook were in there too, i assume there is an outflow from a river? I’ve always thought about renting one of those peddle boats and attempting to fish from it lol I have good freshwater gear that I keep there since I actually have access to a really nice private honey hole, but I have a place in my heart for snook from the beach. A background in stripers from the rough surf makes standing on the sand and casting into a flat surf with the possibility of a linesider that much more appealing, I guess I will check my salt gear anyway and check it out for myself. I’m assuming if Matlacha is bad, will I be better off heading south toward Naples? Thank you for all the info and all the awareness that you are spreading. I may not live there, but I fish there often enough to care deeply about the state of the water and fishery

Naples pier is open. 

Snook, on the beach. I believe you’d have a hard time finding a live one now. The numbers are down a lot. 

You can rent kayaks at lovers key and try back there. I haven’t been inside lovers key since back in July. Just doing a drive by at Little Carlos it had an odor to it. I’m sure you’d find something there, even if it’s snapper. Last time out the tarpon were not there. Best bet is live shrimp, this time of the year they are small in size. I’ve done fine using just the shrimp tail and a small jig. Snapper will hit them. 

There is no access from the east side of Estero bay unless you take Estero river on the north end of the bay or Imperial on the south end. You can rent from Estero river outfitters. There is also snook in the river around that store too. I’d even stop by the boat rental places along Bonita beach road and see if you could rent a small skiff. Not many people are out and using their membership. It’s a club, pay for the year for use of boats. The boat rentals are $200 for 4 hours. I wouldn’t venture to far and stay as far fromthe passes as possible. You’d have a better chance of catching. 

From what ive been hearing guys are launching their kayaks at Hickory launch and heading away from the pass. All those boat docks you’d normally fish are not being fished at all. To close to the pass. 

Worked on a dock yesterday in north naples off Vanderbilt just south of 111th ave. Address was on Conners, it’s about 5-6 blocks south of 111th.  I did see a nice group of big sheepshead off the dock. The water did have an odor to it, like dead fish. There is a boat launch at Coccahathee river on Vanderbilt at Wiggins pass rd. If you have your own kayak it’s doable to get to where I was working. It’s a good couple mile paddle south following the coast line but inside not on the gulf waters. Also from that same launch you can go under Vanderbilt and fish the east side of Vanderbilt. 

Barefoot beach you can walk to wiggins Pass. It’s not that far a walk. 

If your game and willing to take a chance with the red tide it’s a couple ideas. 

High, heres a report fromthat website name I gave you a couple posts back. This was from yesterday. This is not me but another guy and his experience. 

Launched at the SE side of the big Hickory bridge at 6:55AM. Tide was outgoing and ripping pretty good. Water was crystal clear and best of all....no dead fish. I headed to the southern end and fished the area around Interpid Channel. I saw a lot of jumping fish, swirls, and baitfish action which was a good sign. Fishing around a mangrove island I had a big hit and immediately broke off. Line was cut. I don't know if it was from the fish or the oyster bar. I hit the shallow flats using a gulp shrimp and caught a large Jack which is always fun. Caught a 19 inch snook and another big Jack on my way back as well as a catfish.

I was down a month ago in North Ft Myers and caught some small snook and jumped a tarpon (saw a bunch of little guys rolling) in the canals on my in laws property. Going back in a few weeks in early Oct. Lots of green slime and it stunk but the fish were there.  Hope it clears. Daughter is applying FSGCU, and will be looking at property.  We can be neighbors Salt. 

7 hours ago, Flybyme said:

I was down a month ago in North Ft Myers and caught some small snook and jumped a tarpon (saw a bunch of little guys rolling) in the canals on my in laws property. Going back in a few weeks in early Oct. Lots of green slime and it stunk but the fish were there.  Hope it clears. Daughter is applying FSGCU, and will be looking at property.  We can be neighbors Salt. 

Well there goes the neighborhood. 

Good luck to her. Going to college in sunshine everyday can’t be that bad. It’s a nice looking college. 

Rent first before you buy. It gives you a chance to see multiple areas over a longer period of time. Take a look at the sheriffs office website Crime map for the county to see what’s areas look like crime wise. It does help you narrow down the search. Real quick note don’t bother with Lehigh acres, to much crime. Plus, it’s too far from the gulf. 

Looking Cape Coral or north ft Myers, wife’s uncle owns about 300 properties, hopefully he can get us one cheap on a canal ;).  Tying up some schminnows , gurglers, and bunny flies. Lots of larger tarpon in the river from what I’m reading. Thanks for the info salt.

Fly, by the way it’s going now with the algae you should be able to get a home for next to nothing. Nothing can sell now in areas affected by the algae. Give it time, it’s only going to get worse here with home values and foreclosures. Florida is already seeing an uptick of foreclosures, with Miami leading the way. Home values are at the peak numbers prior to the housing crash. 

A Realtor last week saying currently value of homes in CC are down by $10,000.  The same article had people saying no one is looking at their place and the way it’s going they would be able to sell but only for much less than what they paid for and it’s only if someone wants it at all. 

Edited by saltfisherman

I hear ya salt, but it is time to move from the northeast. My property taxes are 15 K for a small house on Long Island. I can by a new flats skiff in 3 years of what I am paying here just in taxes. Cant spend the last 30 to 35 years of my life sitting in a house in the winter. Plus I like to golf. Maybe we can even fish together, just no politics. :)

1 hour ago, Flybyme said:

I hear ya salt, but it is time to move from the northeast. My property taxes are 15 K for a small house on Long Island. I can by a new flats skiff in 3 years of what I am paying here just in taxes. Cant spend the last 30 to 35 years of my life sitting in a house in the winter. Plus I like to golf. Maybe we can even fish together, just no politics. :)

Heck ya, I’d enjoy fishing with you. Either bait or fly. 

Thats why we moved, so many more days of exterior activities. We spend Christmas on the beach the next day fishing and kayaking. There isn’t any one day you can’t be outside to some extent. Rain doesn't slow us down either. It’s funny how up north you’d go shoot it’s going to be raining I’m not going out to fish or take a walk.  Here it’s going to rain again like yesterday so let’s go out early and beat it. 

You will enjoy it. It’s tough leaving your friends behind and those you’ve fished with for years. But, you’ll call them one January and say how you doing. They’d respond gosh darn it, a foot of snow and you’ll respond yup 6” of sand. That is what this is all for, outdoor everything. 

Once youve added up the savings as to the difference of dollars spent there to what you save here, it’s big money. Between the taxes and heating oil. 

Next, you’ll be kicking yourself only to realize you should have done this years ago.