ThrowinPlugs

Favorite Jigs for Sea Bass?

20 posts in this topic

Hey all, so I've been coming across Black Seabass as a by-catch for fluke recently in my normal spots. I'd like to start targeting them specifically. As far as terminal tackle I've got everything rod and reel wise, I'd really like to try using my Tsunami Slow Pitch rod as it's super sensitive, light and made specifically for jigging. I was thinking diamond jigs, Hogy Epoxys and bucktails? I'll be fishing 40-60' of water from the kayak. Any colors or patterns or tips you guys can offer?

On the drop, anything with a tail was working for me last year at 25' ... but not jigging, 80% of the hookups were on the drop from the top ... good luck and share what's working for you. :th:

I have very good luck with 3oz diamond jigs that have those split green rubber tubes trailing off. 2-3oz Epoxy jigs are also killer in olive, just make sure they are vertical when jigging, but Africaster is spot on- they almost always hit on the drop down. But if they dont, they will hit while jigging if they are around. I also like to let the jig drag in the sand sometimes to mimmick a digging sand eel and to make some "noise" to attract fish. Any current is usually good, otherwise try and find some spots off rock structures or where its deeper. 

Edited by Voo31

Bucktail, bright colors, lightest weight that works, with chartreuse color Gulp mullets. Natural bait works too, but Gulp helps weed out other bait stealing fish. A weightless teaser hook 12”up works really well, any fly or small squid skirt, etc.

Otter tails help because they're unstealable. Some guys will put them on in addition to a tailless gulp grub.  I've been using strips from huge squid for porgy trailers on small bucktails. A small chunk of squid will last a whole trip because the pieces are so hardy. I've been staying in <30' in the western sound and gotten no SB, are they deeper in that area?

30 mins ago, gellfex said:

Otter tails help because they're unstealable. Some guys will put them on in addition to a tailless gulp grub.  I've been using strips from huge squid for porgy trailers on small bucktails. A small chunk of squid will last a whole trip because the pieces are so hardy. I've been staying in <30' in the western sound and gotten no SB, are they deeper in that area?

I'm getting them in about 40' of water, incoming tide. Not many, but they're making their way.

Edited by ThrowinPlugs

4 hours ago, gellfex said:

Plenty of small, bait stealing baby sea bass in the shallows. Keepers in the western sound are very, very hard to come by.

1 min ago, csteven said:

Plenty of small, bait stealing baby sea bass in the shallows. Keepers in the western sound are very, very hard to come by.

Bummer. Even in the Northville area that I used to frequent they were hard to come by. The wrecks and reefs in the NY Bight are further than I want to paddle offshore.  I guess I'm a wimp, going to fluke a back bay tomorrow PM since it's going to be blowing!

Black Sea bass really are not to picky my Favorite are Big Nic Diamond jigs, Hammered diamond jigs or Hogy sqinnow jigs. Those are my personal favorites, i also like to tip the jigs with A  4 inch Pink Berkley "Gulp" Swimming Mullet or if you really want to catch a Trophy Knothead BSB use the 6 inch Grub.

image.jpg.2066c023f7849cc40889088adac3914d.jpgmaxresdefault.jpg.852617bcbcf057fa618e2c4d6ccf5f3f.jpgSquinnow_Glow_Pink_1024x1024_2x_421c4228-07f9-49eb-8bad-984efb58dff8_800x.jpg.170e17299fac339a21dbf20de9103dd4.jpgSquinnow_Holo_Pink_Silver_1024x1024.jpg.9f0b41b7437713518854257d4ea9ffdc.jpg 

I find that the Jigs catch bigger fish then the standard 2 hook hi low rig with squid.

Epoxies work well, no aggressive snap jigging, slow it down... I get a lot of fish stopping & letting it hang there a second with small 6" up & down movements..

6 mins ago, BillZ said:

Epoxies work well, no aggressive snap jigging, slow it down... I get a lot of fish stopping & letting it hang there a second with small 6" up & down movements..

I’m starting to pick up a trend (I think) ...  also use Epoxies most of the time ... mostly get taken on the drop, very seldomly whilst static on the bottom ... based on the shape and orientation of their mouths (and eyes for that matter), I wonder if their preferred angle range of attack is horizontal and up ... thoughts?

2 mins ago, Africaster said:

I’m starting to pick up a trend (I think) ...  also use Epoxies most of the time ... mostly get taken on the drop, very seldomly whilst static on the bottom ... based on the shape and orientation of their mouths (and eyes for that matter), I wonder if their preferred angle range of attack is horizontal and up ... thoughts?

Yeah, i agree the drop is always good, try hanging it there, i'm talking, hit bottom & take a crank on the handle, maybe a foot or so off the bottom with the slow, small rod lifts..... just another method.

These are my go to for shallow medium and deep water. Anywhere from 1/2-5 oz . I get them on the drop and also ripping them up through the water column 

image.jpg