MagDarter

HELP: water pump broke

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

It looks like the water pump kit for a Johnson 15 should be $20-$40. Installing the kit is relatively simple and quick, however, when was it changed last? Biggest concern in my opinion is if any of the bolts are frozen. I have a Yamaha 150 that I religiously change every other year because..1. I never want a problem out on the water and 2. I put anti seize on the bolts to keep them from becoming frozen.

If it has not been done for a long time.. bolts may be frozen so I would consider taking it to marine mechanic.

Good luck and tight_lines

Yak

Also to add. If you decide to do it  make sure you grease  the shaft ends while it is out not just the bolts.  Also pull the prop and thrust washer and pull any fishing line out  from around the seal.add grease around the prop seal and prop shaft then reinstall the washers and prop.

Would also be a good time to check the lower until for water since the cold season coming up.there two screws In The lower unit the one closest to the skeg open  and leave the other one closed it will make a vacuum so the oil wont come out fast..If water is in there it will come out first or you will see milkness. Don't let alot out you should know in the first couple second if its good or bad..

I not sure why you say the pump is bad. If its not peeing that is not a dead give away. The tell tale can be clogged.i see it a lot.  Run a stiff wire or weed whacker line  up the hole while running it or -and  compressed air .whole hooked up to water .sometimes you might need to take off the side cowl and go in that way.if its not peeing this is more then likely it .

Edited by 757saltwater

Dropping lower end isnt too bad, just have all the chit you need handy. Making a stand to support it vertically makes things easier. Check out Dangar Marine on youtube...

11 hours ago, 757saltwater said:

Also to add. If you decide to do it  make sure you grease  the shaft ends while it is out not just the bolts.  Also pull the prop and thrust washer and pull any fishing line out  from around the seal.add grease around the prop seal and prop shaft then reinstall the washers and prop.

Would also be a good time to check the lower until for water since the cold season coming up.there two screws In The lower unit the one closest to the skeg open  and leave the other one closed it will make a vacuum so the oil wont come out fast..If water is in there it will come out first or you will see milkness. Don't let alot out you should know in the first couple second if its good or bad..

I not sure why you say the pump is bad. If its not peeing that is not a dead give away. The tell tale can be clogged.i see it a lot.  Run a stiff wire or weed whacker line  up the hole while running it or -and  compressed air .whole hooked up to water .sometimes you might need to take off the side cowl and go in that way.if its not peeing this is more then likely it .

I did run a wire into the tube and there was some foreign matter that came out but it still wasn’t peeing water and I can feel the hot air pressure so that made me think I had freed the clog but water still wasn’t coming out.  What do you think? 

13 hours ago, Rlan401 said:

Is it in the water or on muffs

At first I ran muffs when I noticed It wasn’t peeing I filled a trash can with water and still nothing.  I ran the wire and noticed some stuff came out of the hose.  After that I felt hot air pressure but still no water. 

My 125 wont run on just muffs so i put them on and then a half a blue barrell filled up so the water is above the cavitation plate, takes an uncomfortable handful of seconds to get the water flowing but it goes. You can try to give it a quick rev in neutral to try to see if the extra rpms get the water going if the impeller isnt seized or as soon as you turn it over tap the thermostat housing with the back of a screw driver . Only a few things you can do to diagnose without having to drop the lower end or risk damage.