flyangler

R.I.P. The Village Voice

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

I personally won’t be shedding any tears but it was an institution. 

After more than 60 years, The Village Voice folds

The Village Voice, the country's first alternative newsweekly which offered New Yorkers local news and classified ads for decades, will cease production and lay off approximately half its staff, the newspaper's owner announced Friday.

"This is a sad day for The Village Voice and for millions of readers. The Voice has been a key element of New York City journalism and is read around the world," owner Peter Barbey said in a statement. "As the first modern alternative newspaper, it literally defined a new genre of publishing." 

"Although the Voice will not continue publishing, we are dedicated to ensuring that its legacy will endure to inspire more generations of readers and writers to give even more speed to those same goals," Barbey added. "We have begun working to ensure that the enormous print archive of The Village Voice is made digitally accessible. 

The Village Voice was founded in 1955 and became a staple in local New York City journalism. It was awarded three Pulitzer Prizes and recognized with other journalism awards.

24 mins ago, Terry Mac said:

Mr. Katz is high on crack cocaine. 

Terry Mae, how many time do I have to tell you I ain’t Jewish?! You’d think a masterdebater like yourself would remember that. 

2 mins ago, tomkaz said:

Terry Mae, how many time do I have to tell you I ain’t Jewish?! You’d think a masterdebater like yourself would remember that. 

Settle down you nazi sob!