DMacLeod

bathroom remodel

Rate this topic

90 posts in this topic

Well after the sticker shock I got with the remodel quote I decided to tackle it myself.   The estimate was over 20K.   I figure I will be all in about 5K when it is finished.

Day 1; Demo day.  Bathroom is 5 x 10 so not too bad and took me 7 hours.

3R%UtUjUQGOdsV8kNzKv%A.jpg

IMG_0083.JPG

The house was built in 1984 and the guy was a hack.   Every time I start a project here I find more crappy work I have to correct.

In the bathroom he used particle board as a sub floor under the tile.  Tile was stuck down with liquid nail.........:banghd:

Eighties construction was the worst.... in both quality of work and the materials.

You going to move those water supplies inside the wall?

Interesting framing for the recessed medicine cabinet.

38 mins ago, nightfighter said:

Eighties construction was the worst.... in both quality of work and the materials.

You going to move those water supplies inside the wall?

Interesting framing for the recessed medicine cabinet.

Moving the pipes tomorrow.  Then set fiberglass shower base.  (Mary didn't want tile on the floor)

I'm using the kerdi system in the shower area with a shower niche and 1/2" perma base on the rest of bathroom floor.    I am still up in the air if I want to apply kerdi membrane over the perma base.

Purple MR board will be put on walls and ceiling.   Need to cut a hole in wall for exhaust fan.  It was just pointing up into the rafters.  :rolleyes:

The framing for recessed medicine cabinet is a mess.  

I've got 9 days until I need to return to work so I should be close to finished.

Day 2;   Installed new exhaust fan (piped it outside like it should be.  Old one vented into the attic space.  Put in a new plug finished rough wiring.  Moved supply pipes inside wall, but messed up here as I didn't account for the difference in pipe height.    I'm not changing it as nothing leaks.  

Tomorrow is shower base and tie it in and block behind pipes.   Sheet rock ceiling and put perma base (concrete board) on the floor.   Also need to fix some of the ugly framing so I can put the kerdi system in.

I want to be able to start tile by Tuesday. 

CZQ3KCMrShqVGxEAibqONQ.jpg

mIAn2tYFSlyQFzHjhFd9Pg.jpg

MDEeKXQ4SCWwg4s1+cXBKw.jpg

e5MYidE5QaeSxUUSVaU9og.jpg

rpX4NprfTaiefDcP8RWdbA.jpg

average bath remodel is running me about 15k all in. Here's a tip for you, put that fan on a digital timer. 20 minute 30 minute or 40 minute buttons. The ones I have done the people love them.

9 mins ago, gray gables said:

average bath remodel is running me about 15k all in. Here's a tip for you, put that fan on a digital timer. 20 minute 30 minute or 40 minute buttons. The ones I have done the people love them.

Great idea, I put one in at my business for the light. If some one was in there longer than 20 minutes and the light shut off I knew I had a problem to look into.

1 hour ago, gray gables said:

I wouldn't been offended if it was 15K.  22 was overboard if you ask me though.  I already had the shower pan , exhaust fan/light and shower controls.

I wasn't home at the time.  I was at work and my wife had to deal  with him. (yes the price was with me doing the demo )

She told him "don't worry, when he does the demo he will fix anything that needs fixing.  He is a carpenter and has been in the trade for over 30 years" 

He still kept saying "I don't know, unforeseen conditions...."   That was it,

The fan has a humidity sensor and kicks on automatically (so the box says :D )

Any ways  

Day 3 ; perma base is down, shower base is in. (still need to tie it in). Purple board is on ceiling and shower niche is in.

so far I am in 25-26 man hours.  My earlier guess of 100 man hours should be pretty close.   Not to bad for a 57 year old fat guy.

ekQmfAAxTsSyooEWgQ%2rg.jpg

po04WqHUSJmklFBdPfdB4A.jpg

fullsizeoutput_125.jpeg

Edited by DMacLeod
added text

Day 4;   shower control is in (no leaks :)  ), shower drain is hooked in, blocking is in for sink supply lines; I changed the shorter one as it was bugging me.   

Everything is ready for insulation and sheetrock.    Tomorrow I  hope to have kerdi system in as well as purple board hung with at least 1 coat of mud on joints.  

3oRsNvfXQTGD+nTI04KbAA.jpg

PpuDBpwpSxm+VRxa+X43uQ.jpg

Edited by DMacLeod

I started a bathroom remodel in my home several months ago. The pipes are all moved, the shower pan is poured, and the rock is taped and sanded. Life got in the way and it is time to get it going again.............after fishing season. :) 

On 9/2/2018 at 3:44 PM, gray gables said:

I installed the timed switches in both baths.  They are great.

Cabo

Day five;  put in blocking for vanity and shelves.  Moved sink water supply lines as they wouldn't work with the vanity my wife picked out.

Kerdi system is in just needs seams and screws taped with kerdi band and thin set.   1 day for that to dry and it is ready for tile.   Hope to get 2 coats of tape on MR board tomorrow as well.

Need to start medicine cabinet as my wife wants a custom one.....:banghd:

43 hours in so far including trips to Home Depot.   100 hrs is do able.

BY5au17NTDSUuRJdmFvS9g.jpg

On 9/2/2018 at 5:12 PM, DMacLeod said:

The fan has a humidity sensor and kicks on automatically (so the box says :D )

I put one in a rental and the uptight tenant was bitching it was going on too much. WTF? Why does a nearly silent fan bug her? In another unit I had used the kind that stays on 20 min after the light goes out.

I admire your ambition doing the gut. Earlier in the summer I got a quote of $4k to gut 80 sq ft of tub surround tile and partial wall. I thought that was ridiculous and did it myself. After finding the back wall of the tub surround was nearly 3" of lath, plaster, & 2 layers of drywall plus tile, I was regretting it! So many layers of crap and trying to get the studs shimmed or sistered to make the new boards level with the old wavy wall was a bear. Tiling was the easy part.

Kerdi is all waterproofed and 1 coat of mud on at point when pic was taken (yesterday)  Humidity is making dry time really slow.   Hope to get second and final coat on today so my wife can paint tomorrow.    I want tile going on the shower walls tomorrow.

z9yth8PnTFyPn64YEpuV2w.jpg