The Golf

Rate this topic

Chunkah

Putt speed?

So a couple of seasons ago when trackman was developing their putting software. We have the opportunity to try an early version of software along with testing a 2nd gen "pure roll " insert of TaylorMade's putters.

So what is the correct speed for say 12 foot putt?  Flat green, no break, no grain impact, dry conditions, pin is out.

The correct speed is what gets it to drop in the hole AND allows the ball to travel/roll up to 4.5 feet beyond the hole. Think about this when you leave a putt short 6-12 inches.  You could have easily hit the putt almost 20-25%% harder and it would have gone in the hole. 

At the speed of 3-3.5 feet (beyond the hole)  the ball still drops into the hole hitting the wall of the hole down inside the cup, at 3.5 feet it looks like the ball is being sucked into the hole.  At 4.5 feet the back of the cup comes into play to hole the putt.  

at 6 feet ( beyond the hole speed) or greater, the odds become less than 20% of holing it, assuming its dead online center.

Other facts

It doesn't matter the condition or the speed of the green- speed is speed

If it's a 35 25, 15-foot putt....the speed is the same at 5 feet approaching the cup in order to make the putt and that's including the examples above. 

Edited by iphish

The data and experience above convinced me to putt more aggressively and to keep the pin in unless the wind is impacting the pins angle or lazy grounds crew. 

The software could provide some crazy data, they wouldn't allow phones to take pictures but this one slide of the raw data it can provide. Surprisingly with all the lazers, angles and numbers. My putting stroke was pretty good, hardly any flaws 

image1-1024x604.jpg

1 hour ago, iphish said:

Trouble is most don't do that and yet some have no concept of time management. You know the type, the guy has to walk "back" 50-75 feet" to get into his cart

I'm very aware of the groups behind and in front of me - I have zero patience and I expect the guys behind me have zero patience as well. And I'm hoping the guys in front of us expect us to have zero patience for their lolly gagging. I'm never more than roughly 1/2 a green away from my clubs...and if I'm chipping on or putting from the green's far side from the next hole, I'll walk over there and put my bag down so when I'm done putting my bag is between me and the next hole instead of having to walk back across the green to get my bag and then walk back across the green to head to the next hole. Guys in carts can be horrific...or they can be fast...just like guys carrying or pushing their carts. 

Making sure your bag is between you and the next hole saves a lot of time...it's not always possible, like if it's still your turn and you are on the far side of the green - but when it's not your turn and you can get your stuff closer to the exit, it saves walking across the green twice while the next group is standing their with their hands on their hips :)  

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

1 hour ago, Eagles Dare said:

Super windy I'll pull the pin. Have had a couple bounce out when the wind blows the pin to one side, mostly blocking the hole.

And there are courses where the flag has been blown around enough to get loose in the cup and lean...you gotta pull those, too.

Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

48 mins ago, iphish said:

The correct speed is what gets it to drop in the hole AND allows the ball to travel/roll up to 4.5 feet beyond the hole.

No thank you. I don't want 4 1/2' on every come back putt...that sounds absolutely horrific. I like really short come back putts - and that's a problem because trying to leave it within a 12-18" means you will have to be dead on with your read and speed...otherwise, it's gonna break hard as it's slowing down. I'm trying to learn to hit it a little harder...but I don't like sweating over a 3' come back putt. I'd probably make more one putts if I learned to not be afraid of the 3' come back putt...but 4 1/2 feet, no thank you :scared:

51 mins ago, iphish said:

It doesn't matter the condition or the speed of the green- speed is speed

Yea, gravity doesn't care about how many bounces or redirects or how lucky you got getting the ball to the hole - it only knows down. 

Any golf related goods being asked for...for Christmas? 

My 8 year old, no longer supported, made or sold TomTom golf watch is on the way out. The face is delaminating, ......it's time. 

Been leaving hints for a Galaxy5 pro golf watch with a life time golf caddie app membership included.

On 12/10/2022 at 9:34 AM, iphish said:

The data and experience above convinced me to putt more aggressively and to keep the pin in unless the wind is impacting the pins angle or lazy grounds crew. 

The software could provide some crazy data, they wouldn't allow phones to take pictures but this one slide of the raw data it can provide. Surprisingly with all the lazers, angles and numbers. My putting stroke was pretty good, hardly any flaws 

image1-1024x604.jpg

The club I play at has two courses: Championship and regular. The championship course is 2-3’ “faster” on the greens.  You need to consider that when playing too. 

"A successful man is one who can lay a strong foundation with the bricks thrown at him."- David Brinkley

4 hours ago, splions said:

The club I play at has two courses: Championship and regular. The championship course is 2-3’ “faster” on the greens.  You need to consider that when playing too. 

Yep, Our greens are bent grass, a little unusual for area, most have some sort of hybrid mix with rye or poa.   Our greens are and can be very fast. 10,11,12 even 13 during some tournaments on the stimp, every day though it's usually 10-11.

Even our practice green has undulations and grain. So every day before teeing off I stand in the exact same spot dropping 3 balls from waist high. They land on about 4-6 inches of the fringe, small bounce then they roll onto the green. How far it rolls tells me the speed of the green. 5 feet is fast, 4 feet slower etc. I then practice 15-21 twelve-foot putts then head to the tee, I'm good to go.

I play with a group of guys, decent golfers, I have a couple of my favorites. They will be hitting a large bucket and then head to the tee, walking past the practice green. From there proceed to 3 putt several holes on the front nine. Never understood some of them.

14 hours ago, iphish said:

Any golf related goods being asked for...for Christmas? 

My 8 year old, no longer supported, made or sold TomTom golf watch is on the way out. The face is delaminating, ......it's time. 

Been leaving hints for a Galaxy5 pro golf watch with a life time golf caddie app membership included.

A buddy of mine sent me (unannounced) one of those little nets you can chip into for short game practice.  It was sort of a joke, since I had chipped so poorly in a two-man scramble we played in this year, but I plan on using it! :laugh:

39 mins ago, iphish said:

Yep, Our greens are bent grass, a little unusual for area, most have some sort of hybrid mix with rye or poa.   Our greens are and can be very fast. 10,11,12 even 13 during some tournaments on the stimp, every day though it's usually 10-11.

Even our practice green has undulations and grain. So every day before teeing off I stand in the exact same spot dropping 3 balls from waist high. They land on about 4-6 inches of the fringe, small bounce then they roll onto the green. How far it rolls tells me the speed of the green. 5 feet is fast, 4 feet slower etc. I then practice 15-21 twelve-foot putts then head to the tee, I'm good to go.

I play with a group of guys, decent golfers, I have a couple of my favorites. They will be hitting a large bucket and then head to the tee, walking past the practice green. From there proceed to 3 putt several holes on the front nine. Never understood some of them.

Thanks for the tips.  They’re very helpful and appreciated. 

"A successful man is one who can lay a strong foundation with the bricks thrown at him."- David Brinkley

48 mins ago, MikeM58 said:

A buddy of mine sent me (unannounced) one of those little nets you can chip into for short game practice.  It was sort of a joke, since I had chipped so poorly in a two-man scramble we played in this year, but I plan on using it! :laugh:

I gave out a handful of them...they are great practice nets, cost like $12....I have a bucket of 50 golf balls I use when chipping - I'll dump them on the grass and chip them toward the net from varying distances. It's really good practice - you get all sorts of lies...and you can chip some with the club open, some with the club hooded, front of stance, back of stance....you can really get a feel for how the club face, grip and stance completely change the trajectory and distance of each chip. Then I'll pick them up, move the net closer or further - and do it again. Usually do that three times before I get bored. But it's a really good way to get more familiar with how the clubface and stance changes effect the ball when chipping. Like a tool...the more familiar it feels in your hand when you are looking at the face when chipping, the more comfortable you are standing over the ball - and having some idea what the ball is gonna do makes chipping much more fun :) 

3 mins ago, TimS said:

I gave out a handful of them...they are great practice nets, cost like $12....I have a bucket of 50 golf balls I use when chipping - I'll dump them on the grass and chip them toward the net from varying distances. It's really good practice - you get all sorts of lies...and you can chip some with the club open, some with the club hooded, front of stance, back of stance....you can really get a feel for how the club face, grip and stance completely change the trajectory and distance of each chip. Then I'll pick them up, move the net closer or further - and do it again. Usually do that three times before I get bored. But it's a really good way to get more familiar with how the clubface and stance changes effect the ball when chipping. Like a tool...the more familiar it feels in your hand when you are looking at the face when chipping, the more comfortable you are standing over the ball - and having some idea what the ball is gonna do makes chipping much more fun :) 

As i get older, the short game is where I need to concentrate my practice.  I'm not going to add enough yardage off the tee to make a big difference, so staying on the fairway and getting good around the greens and putting is where I'll concentrate this "off season".

2 mins ago, MikeM58 said:

As i get older, the short game is where I need to concentrate my practice.  I'm not going to add enough yardage off the tee to make a big difference, so staying on the fairway and getting good around the greens and putting is where I'll concentrate this "off season".

Same here, I'm never gonna be a long hitter...the only things I practice are chipping and putting...once in a while I'll hit 100 balls into the net hanging in the backyard, but that just reminds me how uncomfortable I am with my irons :beers:

13 hours ago, MikeM58 said:

That's the ticket right there, short game and putting. Before you hit a chip pretend its really a putt, where do you want it to land and what will the ball do the last 3-4 feet. Always use gravity to your advantage, let gravity bring the ball towards the hole not away from it is my thought process. 

Chipping nets are great, if you really start to wear out your lawn, use a car mat to chip off of.