The Golf

Rate this topic

Chunkah

1 hour ago, NIB said:

If a tree falls in the forest..

Back to freezing town. 86 in Fla to degrees to 36 degrees here.Tell me why NJ is good again.

drove back in one shot. Not bad I basically peed every 322 miles when I got gas.which was  four times.

Welcome back :wave:

NJ is only better because it’s not 86 degrees in November here :idea: 36 isn’t ideal, but it’s great golf weather until the greens freeze solid :beers: 

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

22 mins ago, MikeMc said:

Wind chills in the 30's next couple days. I'll pass on the golf. Cold is one thing, cold and windy you can keep. 

Cold and windy does suck :blackeye:

Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

Our club decided on last Monday to close for the season. I guess I was lucky to play Sunday. It usually barring any accumulated snow stay open to thanksgiving weekend. There are usually two tournaments that weekend one is black Friday referred to as "tanks for notting" tournament ( spelling is correct) and the second is the "superintendent's revenge". 

In either case, it sucks they're closing early, we are a hardy bunch up here, cold weather and wind don't scare us.   And with today's miracle fabrics you can play in some pretty hard conditions like it's nothing.

I'm depressed and could become irritable! 

Me on the left, years ago

0241ed41_47OOves.jpeg

Edited by iphish

32 mins ago, Kneel said:

Mid 50's and sunny this week, 60's next week @ Pinehurst.  Sounds like perfect road trip weather. :th: 

You keep threatening me with a good time :squid: Let's go already, you know where I live, I need about an hours notice to throw some clothes in a bag :beers:

3 hours ago, TimS said:

You keep threatening me with a good time :squid: Let's go already, you know where I live, I need about an hours notice to throw some clothes in a bag :beers:

One course I like down in the Pinehurst area was tobacco road. It was fun to play and very challenging at the same time.

3 hours ago, TimS said:

Same here

Build a Better Mantrap
and the Rats will beat a path to your Door..

27 mins ago, iphish said:

One course I like down in the Pinehurst area was tobacco road. It was fun to play and very challenging at the same time.

Tobacco Road definitely on the short list. :th:  It might short circuit Tim. He likes to play places over and over.  TR is like an acid trip.  Oddly shaped greens, double doglegs, waste bunkers that choke off the fairways and blind shots! Holy crap the elevated greens and giant mounds of sand and grass that get in your way.  Some call it hokie but I liked it.  NOT and easy course, but a lot of fun. :th: 

15 mins ago, Kneel said:

Two days? Three?  Can we smash in 36 a day with the abbreviated daylight? If we stayed AT Pinehurst resort we could play #2 and #4, but honestly they are all great.  Southern Pines and Mid Pines are across the street from eachother i think...

36 a day is kinda tough for me.like iphish said about Tobacco Road I heard good things about.I think I played Southern pines it was ok. For a Ross course probably gets dark 1/2 hour later there than here.I’m good for as long as you want. What about Cleatis.

Build a Better Mantrap

Was in a foursome that played Pinehurst for 3 years in April.  Fly down early Thursday and back late Sunday.  Stayed at Pinehurst which made it extremely convenient, shuttles to all the courses.  One of the guys was close with the hotel manager so we had a four person (2 bedroom) suite and usually had first tee time each day, including #2.  Played 36 each day and usually got in a day with 54, finishing with blind shots in the dark for the last hole or two.  The breakfast buffet was as awesome as the golf.  Very different now I’m sure.  Was fun while it lasted.

"My mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention."
Hedley Lamar
"It wasn't the bullet that laid him to rest, was the low spark of high-heeled boys"
Jim Capaldi & Steve Winwood

Tobacco road designer...dead from cigarettes I heard also had another course, a bit of a drive but once again different, challenging and fun. Huge elevation swings. I think its called Toten hill farm or something close to that

19 hours ago, PeterO said:

Was in a foursome that played Pinehurst for 3 years in April.  Fly down early Thursday and back late Sunday.  Stayed at Pinehurst which made it extremely convenient, shuttles to all the courses.  One of the guys was close with the hotel manager so we had a four person (2 bedroom) suite and usually had first tee time each day, including #2.  Played 36 each day and usually got in a day with 54, finishing with blind shots in the dark for the last hole or two.  The breakfast buffet was as awesome as the golf.  Very different now I’m sure.  Was fun while it lasted.

I was telling someone about the breakfast buffet. The bad part is you have to go play after eating. It took me three holes to digest.

Build a Better Mantrap